Zerostart: Best $54 EVER! (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerostart: Best $54 EVER! (review)

So I finally got around to installing my Zerostart tank heater last weekend.....Not as smooth as I had thought, big mess, and of course the 1.8t can't really follow the TDI instructions on the net, so I had to work it out myself and hope for the best! I got it figured out though, and if I were to do it again, it would be much quicker, easy placement, and very little hose replacement.....stay tuned, I'll do a 1.8t install write up soon.....Anyhow, onto the guts, its a Zerostart/Temro tank style heater, 1500watt version, I bought onsale at Canuck tire for $54....I had to buy a couple extra things, but they will be covered in the install write up....I finally had the chance to test it today, as it got much colder......I was at work, getting off at 9pm, so I plugged the car in at 7pm (both oilpan heater, and temro), it was roughly -15 to -20 with the windchill, went out to start the car, instantly the temp guage went to 90c! I started the car, cranked the heat, and the fan, and there is nice warm air blowing through! I quickly dusted the car off, and expected the temp guage to be dropped and cooler air blowing through (like Brent had mentioned happened to his), but the temp guage stayed up....I drove off, the windows defrosting, and me toasty warm in the car in no time.....THe car stayed at operating temp the whole time, so needless to say, I was blown away by this, and honestly feel this is the best thing I have done for the car, no more unnessecary cold starts.....anyhow, does anyone else here have one other than Brent and myself????? Let me know what you think!
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Zerostart: Best $54 EVER! (review)

so what is it? an added heater pad for your oil pan or radiator or what?

Comment

Heats the coolant and circulates it doesn't it?

Khyron
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Yep, its a tank style heater you place inline with the coolant, and it circulates heated coolant through coolant path...
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

The only way it circulates the heat is via convection, there is no pump inside etc. Areyou sure you bought the 1500watt version and not the 1000watt? You better make sure which model you bought as some have a check valve in them that will not allow the coolant to flow propperly causing major problems.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Its 1500watt.....coolant seems to flow jsut fine through it, which ones had problems?? And are you sure it wasn't the cannister style??

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
              Its 1500watt.....coolant seems to flow jsut fine through it, which ones had problems?? And are you sure it wasn't the cannister style??
              There is a big one that is round that has a check valve but it sais so on the package. I guess I just haven't seen to many of the 1500watt ones. I put in 1000watt ones and the wife and I both love them.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yep, thats the other style one, use the tank one its better!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Best $$$ and 2 hours I've ever spent....almost a necessity on a TDI.

Comment

Sounds like something I should be doing, when its cold (-20) it takes my car from Douglasdale to 16th ave on Deerfoot to heat up. I'm sure the windchill factor is not helping, but it sure would be nice to get into a car and allready have heat. Does the glowplug light still stay on for a long time? Is this just a heater that gets spliced into the lower rad hose?

Comment

man thats tweaked when i drove my jetta last winter.. it only took me about 4 blocks to get the temp up.. this is of course parked in a garage that sits at about +10C.

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
                          Does the glowplug light still stay on for a long time? Is this just a heater that gets spliced into the lower rad hose?
                          The glowplug light doesn't even light up!!!! Starts like a summer day!!!!

It splices into the oil cooler line. The rad hose unit won't work on ours b/c of the thermostat location.

Comment

On the 1.8t's, it even kicks the cold start air pump off, so its a little strange starting it and having it idle at 850rpm right away....but exactly, it starts just like it was warm out.....

Comment

Hmm, sounds like something im gonna need to get off my ass and do!

Are they still on sale at crappy tire?
                              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                              -james

Comment

Working...
                              X