worst day in a VeeDub ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worst day in a VeeDub ever

So its noon, I jump in my car (2003 Golf GLS) and find it a bit cold so I turn on the heated seat. Then I smell something burning then I notice a puff of smoke raise up from my side, oh crap I thought my smoke butt came back in or something. So I quickly pull off the road and jump from my seat to find nothing and think maybe my smoke butt fell in the pocket of my coat. Check to see nothing and look down at the seat to find a whole form from nothing and a flame jump up! So I turn the seat off and put out the flame with my finger. So I go strait to the dealer (Northland like always) sit in the room for two hours, find a burn in my jeans as my car sits in view of the windows for the guy to do his order forms and take some pictures of the seat. Finally he gives me the keys back and said its covered by warranty ($1100+). Then as I drive home I notice a slight wobble in the steering and pull over to find a flat tire! By now im pissed, so I pop the hatch and start to pull out the spare tire and jack and phone my boss to tell him I will be late. Then I grab the jack and think oh better grab the wheel lock key out to and find it missing. doodoo so I phone northland and ask to talk to someone to see if they could send a shuttle over so I could use there lock key. A lady said sorry but there are about 30 different lock keys. Ok phone roadside assistance and wait for now three and a half hours off to the side of the road. Get towed to the dealer and now I have to pay for a part (lock key) that I didn’t lose and have to wait till tomorrow to get as the car sits in the parking lot! So from 12:30 this morning to 9:00 pm I spent on fire, in a waiting room and off to the side of the road! End of story...
    My signature is so last year...

Re: worst day in a VeeDub ever

jeebus chrispy shoot yourself dude.. that sucks.. i recently lost my lock key too but i stopped by and a friendly tech gave me one for free
    as for the butt starting on fire your the first in calgary for that

Comment

That is one crappy day, hope your luck improves
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

geez that's horrible.

and on a side note, I KNOW the dealership used my wheel lock key and then didn't put it back in the trunk when they were done.

Can I prove it? nope...so I had to buy a new one (even though they've got a box of 'em sitting in the garage...)
        1.8T
        Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

When I go to the dealership, I leave wheel lock key at home... I don't want them messing with my wheels! Especially the 19's.

I have heard there is a service bulliten on the seats-starting-on-fire issue, that is a big deal, should ask for Recaro's!
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

That sucks big time, but you have to look at the up side, you could have been hit by a civic, spent the day in the hospital and have to drive a Ford for almost 2 months
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

yes i am glad it was me driving the car because if it was my girlfriend or her mom they would have fliped the car or been hit dead on. and the last thing i want to have happen is for me to drive a ford!
              My signature is so last year...

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                That sucks big time, but you have to look at the up side, you could have been hit by a civic, spent the day in the hospital and have to drive a Ford for almost 2 months
                How much was the damage on yer car? Im surprised they didnt just write it off!
                REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                -james

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                  How much was the damage on yer car? Im surprised they didnt just write it off!
                  About $11grand, it didn't hit the value of the car so they wouldn't write it off Ohh well it will be even better now with a new paint colour etc.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

On a related note, my drivers seat stopped heating so I did some diagnosing and it is the thermistor in the seat itself. In my case it is open circuit (intermittant) right inside the seat. Should be easy to bypass it with a replacement part though.
                    EU Tuning
                    European Performance Products
                    www.eutuning.ca
                    slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

What's the deal with the seats catching on fire??? I've been thinking about getting rid of mine for some of those tan racing seats at C1... but I love the heat...

Anyone know about the service bulletin???
                      -- Mark --
                      I want my VW to be fast.
                      2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
                      Terrorists suck!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles. A buddy of mine in Calgary also had a similar problem. The drivers seat basically burnt and left holes in the velour that looked like multiple cigarette burns. Lotsa smoke and WTFs? as well when it happened. Hope you're able to work this all out.
                        Derick

Comment

this is exactly why I didn't get heated seats, that and my @$$ produces enough heat on it;s own.
                          2004 Reflex Silver GTi 1.8t
                          1991 passat GT wolfsburg edition (euro spec)
                          1982 golf GTI (euro spec)
                          Autocross: the miniature golf of road racing

Comment

no way man.. heated seats are the best.. especially with leather... i dont' use them a whole lot but i do turn them on if my back is sore,etc cuz its like a driving massage lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                              no way man.. heated seats are the best.. especially with leather... i dont' use them a whole lot but i do turn them on if my back is sore,etc cuz its like a driving massage lol

...and when it's -20 outside, a heated seat is like quadrouple brownie points with the ladies
                              1.8T
                              Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Working...
                              X