Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon Sound System

Question for techies...

I have to disconnect my battery to tack weld my nearly complete shock tower brace.... (I'm just tacking a bracket onto the donut piece that bolts onto the top of the shock tower).

If I dont disconnect the battery, I'll fry the ECU... So I have to disconnect the battery.

Problem is, my car came without an owners manual so I don't have the radio code for the stereo. Anyone know where I can find this? Of course, my salesman at Northland doesnt know and won't return my calls and the tech. department can't help....

What should I do? Unfortunately, to ensure perfect fit, it has to be on the car while I weld it....
    -- Mark --
    I want my VW to be fast.
    2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
    Terrorists suck!

Re: Monsoon Sound System

sorry i can't be of more help, but this is the perfect time to get an aftermarket cd player!
    Simon

Comment

For my car, older VW if you pull the deck out and get the serial number and give this to a knowledgable person at a dealer they should be able to look it up and get a code for you.

I am interested to see this brace, I want a nice polished one for my car!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I'm volunteering to build them for club members for 75 dollars inc. materials. Paint and finish is up to you.. (have it chromed or ceramic coated)!!!!

Or I can get materials for members who want to build themselves one...

It's easy.. But I need the damn code before I can weld the thing together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        -- Mark --
        I want my VW to be fast.
        Terrorists suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Electrofuzz
          I'm volunteering to build them for club members for 75 dollars inc. materials. Paint and finish is up to you.. (have it chromed or ceramic coated)!!!!

Or I can get materials for members who want to build themselves one...

It's easy.. But I need the damn code before I can weld the thing together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you take the stereo out and quickly connect it to another power source maybe it won't get reset

I have disconnected my battery for short periods (5 mins) and not had to recode the radio. Back when I had a stock head unit.

DISCLAIMER: If you try this and your radio stops working, I am not responsible.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I called South Center Fine Cars.... Tim in Service is going to pull the radio and get me the radio code for free... such a nice guy...

Apparently we need keys....

I'll post pics of the shock tower brace when its done... And anyone who wants to look can come look!!
            -- Mark --
            I want my VW to be fast.
            Terrorists suck!

Comment

I called South Center Fine Cars.... Tim in Service is going to pull the radio and get me the radio code for free... such a nice guy...

Apparently we need keys....

I'll post pics of the shock tower brace when its done... And anyone who wants to look can come look!!
              You don't have to pull the deck they can look it up by your VIN number. I did that for my deck that I removed. Stupid stealerships just give them the VIN and tell them to F'in look it up!
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                You don't have to pull the deck they can look it up by your VIN number. I did that for my deck that I removed. Stupid stealerships just give them the VIN and tell them to F'in look it up!
                You also do not need keys to pull the deck, you can use some ghetto tools... I got mine out using a credit card I cut into 4 little strips.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Going to get my VIN.....

If I cut up my credit card, my old lady will shoot me....
                  -- Mark --
                  I want my VW to be fast.
                  Terrorists suck!

Comment

jig-saw blades work like a charm too
                    1.8T
                    Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

^%!*&#$ Volkswagon says that they require BOTH serial numbers (stereo and car) to get me the radio code. Cant do it with one or the other, so I have to go down there anyways... Pain in the a$$....

This shock tower brace is turning into a headache, but its look SOOOO cool.
                      -- Mark --
                      I want my VW to be fast.
                      Terrorists suck!

Comment

^%!*&#$ Volkswagon says that they require BOTH serial numbers (stereo and car) to get me the radio code. Cant do it with one or the other, so I have to go down there anyways... Pain in the a$$....

This shock tower brace is turning into a headache, but its look SOOOO cool.
                        if it's Ddin, the instrument cluster stores that, code is never needed unless you change the deck for a different VW deck (different code), then you only have to enter it in once also.
                        put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam
                          if it's Ddin, the instrument cluster stores that, code is never needed unless you change the deck for a different VW deck (different code), then you only have to enter it in once also.
                          That would explain why I was able to disconnect my battery and never had to reset my DDin radio using the code.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

wierd. I've had my battery disconnected numerous times (single slot, no cd player, non monsoon) for longer than 5 minutes and I've never had to put in the code. Maybe I've just lucked out?
                            1.8T
                            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

same with me dude.. i had a sony deck in my car for months including during that time a swap to a new cluster (euro cluster) and even after all that when i put my stock radio back in i never had to enter a code so i dunno

Comment

Working...
                              X