No announcement yet.

El Cheapo Custom Exhaust (novel inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Cheapo Custom Exhaust (novel inside)

Well, with an engagement ring on layaway and a two week trip to Thailand and Singapore looming on the horizon, I couldn't wait to save up enough for the APR exhaust...or even save enough for the FK knockoff...So, taking a tip from our cheap brothers at Beyond.ca, I decided to give Carline Muffler behind Pacific Place a try....

I have attached a gif of the stock exhaust on my frontrak (fwd) A4...you see that wonderful sideways muffler (resonator), its #20 in the picture? Well, let's just say I assumed that was a major bottleneck (I mean exhaust gas has to do a complete 180 in there, sure it makes it quiet but...), as was the original OEM muffler -- even when I put the hammer down, you still couldn't hear the exhaust.

So, Rob at Carline hooked me up....2.5" piping all the way through (my stock DP is 2.5" as well), and aside from the sideways muffler, the piping was already pretty much straight through so the only curve it took uses a pre-made mandrel bent elbow right before the muffler to clear my rear suspension. Now instead of just replacing that stupid resonator, I wanted things as straight through as possible, but still want it quiet (no weedwacker wanted), so instead of just installing one bullet-style resonator, Ken decides he wants two. In a row. I know I'm weird. For the rear muffler, its not too bad, its a no name brand one but its all stainless and its straight through. Pro-flo or some crap like that.

Initial impressions -- Judas priest I can actually hear my exhaust. Its not loud, its very deep and burble-y (if that's even a word). I can barely hear it under moderate throttle, at idle its almost silent from inside the car, but at WOT, it sounds like the end of the world. Power-wise....don't really feel a difference. Power comes on smooth (as always), spool up was never a problem (I mean I only have a K03 in there, not like I have a T3/T4)....should have done a baseline dyno but I'm lazy. No noticeable loss of low-end, and top end feels as good if not better than ever.

Best things about my el-cheapo exhaust: straight through all the way, quiet, and CHEAP! Installed, including tax, I paid less than 560.00. For my model of car, that's a 300.00 savings off the FK, and almost 800.00 savings off the APR, not including tax and install! (* note that the APR one came with a DP....but my stock one is 2.5", and the APR one is 2.5"...only difference is its shinier).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BadKenny; 10-08-2004, 09:57 AM.

Re: El Cheapo Custom Exhaust (novel inside)

Originally posted by BadKenny
    Well, with an engagement ring on layaway and a two week trip to Thailand and Singapore looming on the horizon, I couldn't wait to save up enough for the APR exhaust...or even save enough for the FK knockoff...So, taking a tip from our cheap brothers at Beyond.ca, I decided to give Carline Muffler behind Pacific Place a try....

I have attached a gif of the stock exhaust on my frontrak (fwd) A4...you see that wonderful sideways muffler (resonator), its #20 in the picture? Well, let's just say I assumed that was a major bottleneck (I mean exhaust gas has to do a complete 180 in there, sure it makes it quiet but...), as was the original OEM muffler -- even when I put the hammer down, you still couldn't hear the exhaust.

So, Rob at Carline hooked me up....2.5" piping all the way through (my stock DP is 2.5" as well), and aside from the sideways muffler, the piping was already pretty much straight through so the only curve it took uses a pre-made mandrel bent elbow right before the muffler to clear my rear suspension. Now instead of just replacing that stupid resonator, I wanted things as straight through as possible, but still want it quiet (no weedwacker wanted), so instead of just installing one bullet-style resonator, Ken decides he wants two. In a row. I know I'm weird. For the rear muffler, its not too bad, its a no name brand one but its all stainless and its straight through. Pro-flo or some crap like that.

Initial impressions -- Judas priest I can actually hear my exhaust. Its not loud, its very deep and burble-y (if that's even a word). I can barely hear it under moderate throttle, at idle its almost silent from inside the car, but at WOT, it sounds like the end of the world. Power-wise....don't really feel a difference. Power comes on smooth (as always), spool up was never a problem (I mean I only have a K03 in there, not like I have a T3/T4)....should have done a baseline dyno but I'm lazy. No noticeable loss of low-end, and top end feels as good if not better than ever.

Best things about my el-cheapo exhaust: straight through all the way, quiet, and CHEAP! Installed, including tax, I paid less than 560.00. For my model of car, that's a 300.00 savings off the FK, and almost 800.00 savings off the APR, not including tax and install! (* note that the APR one came with a DP....but my stock one is 2.5", and the APR one is 2.5"...only difference is its shinier).
    Attached Files

Comment

bahahahahah, i actualyl started laughing at my pc when I saw that pic haha

Comment

That is a funny pic, but I did actually read all the post. Sounds good, how was the quality of work? Wonder what kind of custom exhaust work they could do up for me???
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Carline is good, they mounted my exhaust system when I got the Rieger rear.
          Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
            That is a funny pic, but I did actually read all the post. Sounds good, how was the quality of work? Wonder what kind of custom exhaust work they could do up for me???

Good god, I was laughing for a good two minutes....

Quality of the work is very good actually...Rob is the guy who did the whole install, had me come back there to inspect welds, make sure the muffler and resonators were placed just how I want them...The welds (mind you I am by no means an expert....or even a novice...or even really know anything about it) looked ultra-clean to me, very even and professional.

Do note that they don't have their own mandrel bender, they have pre-bent elbows, etc. and they typically work with aluminized steel -- despite what the specs say for my car, the only stainless steel in my exhaust system OEM were the muffler and resonator; the piping was aluminized anyways. They do carry up to 3" piping (if you wanna go all out)....

Comment

Working...
            X