Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with purchasing Jetta

Alright, here is my problem:

I'm looking into buying a MkIV Jetta, probably '00, or '01. I was hoping to get a TDI or 1.8T. But lately i have been hearing things about the TDI and how after 300k i would need to revamp the engine just to have it last longer. But i figure that gas prices will keep heading up, and even though the 1.8T would be fun to drive i'm swayed more towards the TDI.

Can anybody set me straight on this supposed *problem* that might occur with the TDI.
    Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
    Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
    Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Re: Help with purchasing Jetta

whats this "revamping"... never heard of it...
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart
      whats this "revamping"... never heard of it...
      Mostly, engine work. Like fixing cylinders, hoses, etc.

How many clicks do you have on ur Golf TDI?
      Last edited by snipa_mini85; 10-05-2004, 10:48 AM.
      Isaac

Comment

~50,000, i am still far away from reaching the million mile mark though!
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

TDIs generally need less work to make them last longer then the 1.8T. There are some people around these parts with near 200,000 on their TDIs so I think you should have no worries with the TDI, just make sure you chip it!
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

...and don't forget to change your timing belt regularly (not the cheapest job either)
            1.8T
            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

I have an '01 1.8T that runs great with 50,000 km on it.

My uncle has an '01 TDI with 391,000km on it. No problems thus far.

Just make sure you let the turbo cool down before you shut the car off after lots of highway kms or you'll spit out turbo bearings...
              -- Mark --
              I want my VW to be fast.
              2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
              Terrorists suck!

Comment

Any engine will be close to a rebuild at 300K. As for longevity of a motor you can't beat a diesel.My golf had 150K on it with no problems and the wifes car has 247k on it with not so much as an oil leak. RIght now it is alot easier to find a jetta TDI then a golf but even then they are still very hard to find.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Northland has about 8 Jetta TDI's there right now...

You might wanna look at 03 or newer if you can afford it... Pump Deuce (spelling) came out... and make more oomph for the little diesels...
                  -- Mark --
                  I want my VW to be fast.
                  Terrorists suck!

Comment

If I could afford any of te ones at northland i would be down there tomorrow. unfortunately the most that i will be able to afford is about 13 - 14 grand.

So in that price range i would probably be looking at a TDI that has around 120 - 160 000 km on it. This is why i'm wondering if most TDI's will be able to last for a while with frequent fluid checks/ system checks. Or if i really need to do any fluid checks, because the last vehicle i owned, ('90 sunbird/'bout 200k clicks) i was unable to take good care of it because my sister was driving it most of the time and didn't bother bringing it in for regular checkups. So i'm just wondering how regularly will i have to checkup on a TDI that already has 'round 150k clicks on it.
                    Isaac

Comment

nvr mind just checked out northland vw's site, and they do have a TDI in my price range. Guess i'll go down and talk with someone there.

any feedback on my previous question is still welcome.
                      Isaac

Comment

ask for kevin or dick bradley they are cool guys

Comment

I dealt with Ron on the used side... he was a good guy.

At 120 - 150km, TDI's are usually okay.... I know several people who have a couple of TDIs that just keep plugging.... What you will notice is that they smoke a little.. Talk to Brent about that... he is the TDI God and he'll be able to tell you how to fix that...
                          -- Mark --
                          I want my VW to be fast.
                          Terrorists suck!

Comment

TDI pwnz j00, 130k and runnin strong yo
                            Gotta keep this car long enough to beat the mileage that I had on the 300SD I used to drive a couple years back (it had 310k on it...)

Comment

Originally posted by Electrofuzz
                              Talk to Brent about that... he is the TDI God and he'll be able to tell you how to fix that...
                              Ok god is pushing it but I have done quite a bit of work on TDI's and have read even more. Plus on the diagnostic end I have no problems I took an auto jetta for a test drive once with a CEL and had the check it, turns out it was the glowplug harness so I jsut had to tell the guy how to fix it
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X