major wheel problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major wheel problems....

well as some of you may know I bought Dericks old 19' wheels a while back and then had some highway construction trouble and dented them all. Since then I have had them fixed by alberta wheel repair. After which I found the car still had a rather large and annoying vibration from about 80 km - 120 or so. So I went back to alberta wheel repair and they spun them on the balance machine and said the rubber is damaged. They recomended I go to tire land.

Well tire land took a look ( At the time I had an insurance adjuster present) and said they out of balance and surprisingly not damaged at all. So they balance them said there was a little cupping on two of the wheels, put them on the drive wheels and they should correct in a 1000 km or so. 3000 k later still got the large damn annoying vibration. But now the insurance company says its a done deal paid for the wheel repair but the rubber is my problem thanks to tirelands recommendation.

Now my problem is:

how do I find out if the rubber is wrecked or the repair job on the wheels is no good. I was thinking I could find someone with 19" swap them rubber and go for a test drive. Problem is cost to get that done. I am going to request tireland covers for screwing me over, anyway if anyone has any better ideas or alternatives please let me know......I hate the stock look......

sorry about the book......

Re: major wheel problems....

Originally posted by Platinum-G
    well as some of you may know I bought Dericks old 19' wheels a while back and then had some highway construction trouble and dented them all. Since then I have had them fixed by alberta wheel repair. After which I found the car still had a rather large and annoying vibration from about 80 km - 120 or so. So I went back to alberta wheel repair and they spun them on the balance machine and said the rubber is damaged. They recomended I go to tire land.

Well tire land took a look ( At the time I had an insurance adjuster present) and said they out of balance and surprisingly not damaged at all. So they balance them said there was a little cupping on two of the wheels, put them on the drive wheels and they should correct in a 1000 km or so. 3000 k later still got the large damn annoying vibration. But now the insurance company says its a done deal paid for the wheel repair but the rubber is my problem thanks to tirelands recommendation.

Now my problem is:

how do I find out if the rubber is wrecked or the repair job on the wheels is no good. I was thinking I could find someone with 19" swap them rubber and go for a test drive. Problem is cost to get that done. I am going to request tireland covers for screwing me over, anyway if anyone has any better ideas or alternatives please let me know......I hate the stock look......

sorry about the book......

Why not rotate (back on the front, front on the back)the wheels and see if that makes a difference, then go somewhere else and get the bad rubber rebalanced. Balancing 2 wheels won't cost very much.

Comment

Sell it don’t bother it again. If you get new tires will be coming out of your pocket. Maybe is not worth the time to find out the problem.

Comment

Go to kal tire on 37 st SE. they have a ballancer their that may let it run out by a 0.001 or so Thats nice and smooth at any speed..
        no dub

Comment

That sucks John. I think your on the right track though in terms of actions.
          1) Continue going after the tire issue since you were given poor advice from them
          2) Play around with rotation of the wheels to try and figure out if one or more of them is repaired incorrectly
          3) If only one is bent, then try to sell them as a set of 3.
          Derick

Comment

Can't you balance it without a tire to see if it's the wheel? Of course fixing bent rims is not even close to 100% - when I got mine fixed I went from like 25 weights to 5 though.

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Of course fixing bent rims is not even close to 100%

Agreed, never the same. I've tried the tire swap....(front to back back to front) no good the two originally on the front are the worst....I really don't know, I got a buddy at Red Deer Kal tire said he would have a look for me give me a sweat deal on new rubber if thats the case,,,see how that pans out....thanks for insight boyz.

Comment

It can be one of your control arm bent.

Comment

Working...
                X