H&R coilovers good/bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&R coilovers good/bad?

I have a big question about these. I was planning on getting H&R coilovers for my car. But in the recent week I have heard some really bad coments about them in my local area. There is this one guy that has them on a VR6 gti and he hates them. He says he has blown out the front strut portion 3 times now and he is sending them back to H&R for good this time. Up untill now I have heard nothing but goods things about H&R, other that this one stupid guy that bought H&R coilovers and went to shows with his car and was constantly lowering and raising his car for the shows and he said the threads wore out. There has been a few people that I have talked to that swear by H&R and would put nothing else on their car.

I was just wondering what all of you here thought about the H&R coilovers. One more thing before people start saying I don't need coilovers and that the cup kit is good enough you should have a little back ground on my driving habbits. I plan on raceing in about 8-10 autocrosses per year and a few times a year going to open track days at both Nurburgring and Hockinhime ring. Also I plan on going to the porsche factory test track in stuttagrt. My daily drive is mostly windy back roads to work with the occaisonal autobahn run. Right now the autobahn runs don't excede 130mph but soon when I get my APR chip I plan on running even faster. Thanks in advance.

-Nick-
    2004 Reflex Silver GTi 1.8t
    1991 passat GT wolfsburg edition (euro spec)
    1982 golf GTI (euro spec)
    Autocross: the miniature golf of road racing

Re: H&R coilovers good/bad?

All the problems I heard with H&R coils were the early versions that had some issues. Since then I think they have all been worked out and I dont think you could go wrong with have H&R anything.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Well, H&R should be alright, I also heard some of those things, and they had problems with cup kits too.....I think quality wise, KW coils are probably up there, but are quite expensive.....On the other hand, alot of people on here run FK coilovers with little (that I know of) complaint, and they are much more affordable....
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I have the H&R coils on my Jetta VR6 right now. Have had them on for about 14 months. I like them
        Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Sounds like a big plan to do the types of driving with your car. H&R brand will not go wrong. I think you are in Europe, am I correct? Anyway doesn’t matter what brand you purchase, in Europe they only come with one year warranty. About the bad stories you heard were partly true and also some can be owner’s fault. I suggest you to get the PCS system caused you will have the ability to adjust the shocks valve damping which allow you to change the characteristic of your car when come to running on the Nurburgring track.

Comment

#1 problem with all aftermarket parts is installation.

H&R is a good brand, I would trust their stuff.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yes I am in europe Germany to be exact, I am located about 35 minutes away from the Nurburbring and autocross events are held about 5 minutes away from my home. Which starting next month I will be officiating the autocross portion. It is about a 2 1/2 hour ride to the Hockinhime ring and about the same to stuttagrt. Thanks for all your advice I think I will still go with the H&R coilovers. This problem with the VR6 Gti must be a fluke or it is him I have not hada chance to really talk to him good and see what version he has, I think that it might be the basic set. thanks again
              2004 Reflex Silver GTi 1.8t
              1991 passat GT wolfsburg edition (euro spec)
              1982 golf GTI (euro spec)
              Autocross: the miniature golf of road racing

Comment

Working...
              X