• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you may want to read this, if installing oem HIDs into non-HID car

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1574465
    put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Re: you may want to read this, if installing oem HIDs into non-HID car

This has nothing to do with OEM HID's in a non HID car... its a cheap rice retrofit kit that he probably ordered on eBay and installed in his e-codes.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Ive seen some retrofits that look better than OEM so I wouldn't call them rice..the dude on vortex who puts OEM lexus hid housing in mk4 ecodes =
      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
      -james

Comment

actually if you look at my reflex joey post i made yesterday on vortex this one guy with a fully pzwo jetta has a X5 retrofit bixenon setup into stock lights and it looks a tad funky at first but the output is awesome.. anyways i was going to actually do the same thing until i found the cost of good X5,lexus,etc ballasts,bulbs, projectors.. it was gonna be like 700CDN ..

Comment

Maybe keep your eye out for a wrecked one?
          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
          -james

Comment

I have also seen some X5 projectors put into a MK3 GTI, looked very good. Really any proper HID setup from a wrecked car would have some great options for us
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

also one thing to remember any projector retrofit into golf lights will look 100x better than jetta ones.. this was what i was gonna do until i found the cost and said bah

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                Ive seen some retrofits that look better than OEM so I wouldn't call them rice..the dude on vortex who puts OEM lexus hid housing in mk4 ecodes =
                Those aftermarket kits certainly look (I've seen one locally with LED turning signals), BUT, the bottom line is that they are not Genuine VW OEM parts afterall.
                Herbert - 2002 Jetta OEM+ Galactic Blue 1.8T 5-speed Tiptronic
                R32 FIS Cluster|Bora HID|Audi A8L fogs|Aero-wipers|Bora Euro taillight|337 muffler w/Jetta MY02.5 tips|337 suspension|GLI front valance|VWR dogbone mount|MY03+ console w/R32 leather handbrake boot|Passat homelink+passenger visor

Latest pics
                My home page

Comment

Xenon tube shattered caused by stiff suspension, even OEM does that if you equipped with stiffer than stock ones. The circuit for the headlights is very simple, it could be other inherited problems.

Comment

With the setup shown above, with the retrofit into plastic e-codes, I am surprised there would be no heat issue.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

simma da na

Comment

Easy, increase the peace.
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                          This has nothing to do with OEM HID's in a non HID car... its a cheap rice retrofit kit that he probably ordered on eBay and installed in his e-codes.
                          It's more to do with current draw not the cheapness of the kit, if you measure startup currents on a ballast they can be up to 20 Amps/ballast.

pulling 20amps through the headlight switch probably isn't that good (haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet, so it could be relayed)

I had fet switches (relays sort of) for my setup, one of the bulbs did shatter but no wiring issues. The kit was from Autolamps online - supposedly the best, phillips bulbs and ballasts.
                          put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

I am closing this thread and moderating it. There is no place for personal attacks here, and I am ashamed of you guys!
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum. If people cannot behave as adults with respect to the others on this board they will no longer be allowed to post here.

Thanks to Kris for watching over this thread.

If anyone has any concerns feel free to send me a PM.

Blair
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                              X