Oil Change for 1.8Ts!!!????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change for 1.8Ts!!!????

I got my oil changed today at northland and they put in 5/50!!!?? I was like WTF mofos!! they said all jettas get 5/50 and passats get 5/40! WTF!!? did they fark up? or is this results of that oil sludge recall crap? also the oil was 15/L!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my oil change was 105!! seriously i'm going to start doign these myself at that rate

Re: Oil Change for 1.8Ts!!!????

Amsoil = 9.85/l
    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
    -james

Comment

Why 15L? I believe it's only under 5L per oil change on my 1.8T. And I got Mobil 1 SuperSyn Oil 0W-40 European Car Formula for CAD$50/6L box (including tax) => less than $10/L.
      Herbert - 2002 Jetta OEM+ Galactic Blue 1.8T 5-speed Tiptronic
      R32 FIS Cluster|Bora HID|Audi A8L fogs|Aero-wipers|Bora Euro taillight|337 muffler w/Jetta MY02.5 tips|337 suspension|GLI front valance|VWR dogbone mount|MY03+ console w/R32 leather handbrake boot|Passat homelink+passenger visor

Latest pics
      My home page

Comment

15$/Litre i meant..

Comment

I already stopped with the dealership changes and I just pull into a drive-through place, give them my oil, they change it to whatever I want them to put in, and then be on my way. The savings is worth it to me.

As for what oil is used - lets face it, oil is oil. However, there was some discussion on vortex and I think a lot of people run 5/50, I believe this is a recommended oil on some other turbo cars.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

well i know this will work i'm just wondering why they did it kinda thing.. in reality i just hand my oil changed for the winter as i'm only driving my car for another month then it sleeeeeeeeeepss

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
              well i know this will work i'm just wondering why they did it kinda thing.. in reality i just hand my oil changed for the winter as i'm only driving my car for another month then it sleeeeeeeeeepss
              thanks for reminding me about the impending car-less-ness.
              Last edited by Mr. Burns; 09-07-2004, 04:05 PM.

Present
              2010 Audi A4 S-Line
              2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
              2003 VW Jetta GLI
              1992 VW Jetta GL
              1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

I pay about 80 bucks for dealer synthetic 5/40 in my 1.8 including filter every 6 months. I remember one time they were saying the standard weight they use in November is 15/50 and I laughed in their face. That **** is for deserts not up here.

In the future always say "Change my oil with 5/40 synthetic". And maybe because of this recall, use the larger TT (I think) oil filter.

Do the drive throughs even have the right oil filters - and are they reusing the crush washer? On vortex, most of the guys that use the jiffy lubes etc bring dealer bought filters...

Khyron
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

i had buddy write on the service sheet "USE SYNTEC 5W40 OIL" and they still put it in.. i guess its not a big deal like i said i'm only driving for another month-2 tops and then i'll change the oil again in the spring when it hits the road again..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                    i had buddy write on the service sheet "USE SYNTEC 5W40 OIL" and they still put it in.. i guess its not a big deal like i said i'm only driving for another month-2 tops and then i'll change the oil again in the spring when it hits the road again..
                    I have always used the Synth 5w40 and tell them when I book it to use synthetic, and double check & have them highlite it on the work order SYNTHETIC ONLY. What happens? Last time I go inm the tech uses regular oil. What more does a guy have to do? Granted, I never paid for it.

Since when has this 5w50 reccomendation begun?

Andrew
                    Last edited by gaffer; 09-07-2004, 06:36 PM.
                    www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                      Amsoil = 9.85/l
                      For one thing the oil you are talking about will more then likely not meet the specs of a gas engine
                      If I where you Ryan I would go to montgomery buy some oil filter and crush washers and do what Kor does and just go to a drive through place with your own oil. It costs like $20 and atleast you know what is going in and since you are sitting in the car you will know if they F#%ed anything up as you will hear them swear Or you could just buy me a beer to change your oil for you (pain in the ass to dispose of though I still have to take a trip to the dump with all my crap).
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i can easily do it myself i did on my old car.. i'm not opposed to doing the jiffy lube deal i always read horror stories of guys over torqueing the drain bolt,etc or striping it.. i think next time i'm buying my own 5/40 syntec from napa cuz i've seen it everywhere at their stores and i'll bring it in to NL..

edit.. tommorow i'm also going to phone south centre and 5th and just ask them what they are currently putting into the 1.8Ts and then i'm gonna phone NL up and ask them just for fun and if they tell me 5w40 i'm going to be having some words with the service manager..
                        Last edited by R_Ethug; 09-07-2004, 08:27 PM.

Comment

LOL do it!
                          Name: Brent
                          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                            For one thing the oil you are talking about will more then likely not meet the specs of a gas engine
                            If I where you Ryan I would go to montgomery buy some oil filter and crush washers and do what Kor does and just go to a drive through place with your own oil. It costs like $20 and atleast you know what is going in and since you are sitting in the car you will know if they F#%ed anything up as you will hear them swear Or you could just buy me a beer to change your oil for you (pain in the ass to dispose of though I still have to take a trip to the dump with all my crap).
                            Amsoil euro car formula is good for gas AND diesel engines. The only special requirement for a diesel engine is that the oil has a good low temp weight so as not to starve the turbo bearings of oil.

Meets or exceeds the following specifications for domestic and foreign gasoline engines:

API SL, CI-4, CF
                            ACEA A3, B3, B4
                            BMW LL-01/98
                            Daimler Chrysler 229.1, 229.3, 229.5
                            Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
                            Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025
                            Porsche
                            Volvo
                            Saab
                            Volkswagen 501.01, 502.00, 503.00, 505.00, 506.00

API SL, CI-4, CF

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil is specially formulated for the lubrication needs of European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Formulated with advanced AMSOIL polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks, premium additives and a broad 5W-40 viscosity rating. AMSOIL 5W-40 allows motorists to take advantage of the maximum extended drain intervals recommended by European automakers while providing second-to-none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

Also 1.8ts are very sensitive to oil filters used. You only want to use an OEM filter or a high quality one (Amsoil, mobil1) as the drain back valve and the pressure relief valve in most aftermarket ones are not strong enough

Comment

Originally posted by gaffer
                              Since when has this 5w50 reccomendation begun?
                              They were talking 15/50 when I was there - 5/50 isn't even a remotely standard weight. If it's 5/50 then thats even better than 5/40 and would explain the price.

Northland always leaves the leftover half bottle in my spare tire area - do you have yours?

Khyron
                              Geoff
                              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Working...
                              X