Phatnoise Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phatnoise Review

Well, I got the phatnoise yesterday. Installation would've been easy if they hadn't forgotten to give me the mounting hardware So for now it is wedged in there with a t-shirt

For those who aren't aware, the phatnoise system uses the information stored in your ID3 tags to sort your music on the hard disk, so I spent about 3.5 hours yesterday entering in/making sure tag info entered is consistent. So far I have about 71 full albums on there, and I am only using 28% of the HD. This is nice, but I have about 100 or so other albums to tag and put on. I figure I wont have it full for about a month - month and a half.

The software is relatively easy to use, I had trouble getting the voice tags to work (The system "speaks" the album/artist/playlist/genre [depending which mode you are in] to you in a female voice before switching to track mode and letting you skip tracks just like a CD) but I am not sure that I want to use that feature anyway.

Playback from the head unit takes some getting used to, but once you have the buttons down it is no problem. The 1-6 buttons select which mode you are in, you arrange it by playlist, artist, album, genre, or just from tracks 1-4000 or so. I usually sort by album. (Note: These features are useless if you don't make all of your ID3 tags consistent)

All in all I love the system, and can't believe I waited this long to get it. This is a must for any music lover. And at $680 taxes in I am definitely not complaining! (it retails for just under $900)

EDIT: Mounting brackets acquired!
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-17-2004, 06:38 PM.

Present
    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
    2003 VW Jetta GLI
    1992 VW Jetta GL
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Re: Phatnoise Review

so it works flawlessly with the delta and sounds wicked to boot ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
      so it works flawlessly with the delta and sounds wicked to boot ?
      Yep

Present
      2010 Audi A4 S-Line
      2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
      2003 VW Jetta GLI
      1992 VW Jetta GL
      1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
        Yep
        $680 taxes in... Did you get that straight from the dealer? ...or elsewhere? I've been considering one of these things for awhile now. I'm not sure you could put me under the "Music Lover" category however, it would be nice to know I had 5,000 odd songs at my disposal and more importantly, without the 5 - 100 CD albums in the back seat.

Thanks for the review!
        Rob
        Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
        Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

$680 w/tax is the Northland VW employee price (I worked there for a couple years).

Present
          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
          2003 VW Jetta GLI
          1992 VW Jetta GL
          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

What exactly is the Phatnoise, is it the HU that comes with the 2004 Jetta/Golf? any pictures?

Comment

Welcome to the PhatNoise Entertainment system
              BOOM PAAI-OWW
              (thats how Id spell it mike)

I was over there yesterday putting it in with Mike. I had to jet before I bored myself to tears watching him edit ID3 tags but from what I saw it was pretty sweet. I can definatly see that lady's voice pissing me off if you plan on listening to a couple hours of music but for sure worth 680..
              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
              -james

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
                What exactly is the Phatnoise, is it the HU that comes with the 2004 Jetta/Golf? any pictures?
                Its actually a hard drive that connects where your CD changer would go. Looks pretty pimp and takes no effort at all to get going! I can guarentee you Mike will have some pics up by saturday of the setup
                -james

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                  Its actually a hard drive that connects where your CD changer would go. Looks pretty pimp and takes no effort at all to get going! I can guarentee you Mike will have some pics up by saturday of the setup
                  provided NL can give me the mounting hardware today. I'm not gonna bother taking pics of my ghetto t-shirt rig.

Present
                  2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                  2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                  2003 VW Jetta GLI
                  1992 VW Jetta GL
                  1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

I have a few MP3's on my server at home (just under 140 gigs of them) and for tagging them I use a swell program called 'Tag and Rename'. It lets me standardize the tags and the file names and will also download the tag information right from some online sources.

Comment

Cool.. I will have to look into that.

Present
                      2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                      2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                      2003 VW Jetta GLI
                      1992 VW Jetta GL
                      1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

For ripping, encoding and playback I use iTunes (for Mac and Windows). It rules. It won't help you much if you downloaded music off the net without tags, but as most of my collection is ripped from my own CD's, I'm ok without that feature.

Try iTunes!
                        billip
                        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Ahh iTunes for renaming is a pain in the ass!! I used it to go through the better part of 20gb!

Tag and Rename is pretty good, my boss told me about it a couple weeks ago and I gave'r a go. Id recommend using that before iTunes, but if you want I have the iTunes software at home as well.
                          -james

Comment

Bump for pics.

Present
                            2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                            2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                            2003 VW Jetta GLI
                            1992 VW Jetta GL
                            1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

So if someone wanted the $680 deal, would yours be the ass to kiss?

Comment

Working...
                              X