Ghetto Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto Intake

Well Simon came over and we finally made the attempt to get the new hose in the car. As you can see, it's a little bit bigger than stock. Roads were pretty slick when we finished so I can't say how much difference there is. This is one of those mods you can't dyno either.

Khyron
    Last edited by Khyron; 04-16-2004, 11:25 AM.
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: Ghetto Intake

lol nice!
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

geoff you shoulda call'd me up i'm always down for ghetto mods

Comment

ghetto concepts car tuning strikes again!
        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
          geoff you shoulda call'd me up i'm always down for ghetto mods
          But it was survivor night!

Geoff
          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
            But it was survivor night!

Geoff
            Nice one Geoff, and the mod is cool too!
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

oh okay lol nevermind.. i was watching survivor on the new tele.. i spooge on the quality of my new shows now!

Comment

I've seen this ghetto mod on the TDI discussion groups elsewhere previously, but never read anything about welding/grinding/whatever you were doing there to create sparks. What's with the sparks in the pic? Were you creating a place to mount the new tubing somehow or removing something that was in your way? Welding something in? You've got me curious.

Make sure you report back any differences you feel its made in the next little while. It seems like a pretty simple and popular mod, but many argue whether it makes a difference, especially for those of us who own TDI's where the intake is in the wheelwell and getting in pretty cold air already. Did you mod this specifically for the wider tubing and better cold air intake location (eg. front grille)?

Comment

LOl dude you need to call me when you are doing getto mods! Plus I live close and will bring my dremel for even more getto action I also want to take a look at your intake right before the turbo and see if it is as crappy as the stock TDI version, I might have an idea that someone came up with for the TDI that might help the 1.8T too (but I know little about that motor).
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

The sparks were from these sharp knobs/posts that were on the body. I also seriously chopped a good 3 pounds of plastic crap (including a good part of the headlight housing) that was in the way because of the 4.5 inch outer diameter.

APR recommends this type of mod for the Stage 3 kits, so it can't be too bad. The main benefit over a normal CAI is the air is forced into the box. So the turbo has to suck less before it gets the requested air which improves throttle response and reduces lag. Ideally you would have a pressurized airbox with its own motor (there are kits for this on vortex).

Sounds trivial, but then who would have expected a silly plastic Samco tip to net as much gains as it does. Unfortunately this mod cannot be proven on the dyno as the fans can only simulate 20 mph driving speeds. Simon and I both think the car is faster, but can't say if the intake has anything to do with it, or if it's just placebo.

Khyron
                    Geoff

Comment

Oh and one day we'll tell the top secret Khyron Horn Relocation Mod.
                      Last edited by Khyron; 04-17-2004, 12:27 AM.
                      Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                        Oh and one day we'll tell the top secret Khyron Horn Relocation Mod.
                        never!!!
                        Simon

Comment

Working...
                        X