Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter grind?

Hello,

I have a MKIV 2.0. when I start my car the starter seems to grind for asplit second after I release the igition. the sound it makes is the same as it would if you started the car while it was already on.
    My problem has been happening for about a year with no other adverse effects. I am worried that it c ould be doing damage to something that I dont know about.
    - it seems for some people to get worse when its cold, but for me it happens about 90% of the time no matter what the temp.

Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

Re: Starter grind?

Originally posted by Staticfish
    Hello,

I have a MKIV 2.0. when I start my car the starter seems to grind for asplit second after I release the igition. the sound it makes is the same as it would if you started the car while it was already on.
    My problem has been happening for about a year with no other adverse effects. I am worried that it c ould be doing damage to something that I dont know about.
    - it seems for some people to get worse when its cold, but for me it happens about 90% of the time no matter what the temp.

Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks
    For me, this has happened when its really, really cold too.

I think there are a variety of things that happen, pumps that start etc when the engine is initially started. One of them is probably not working properly (just a guess).

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone but the dealership will be able to diagnose the problem. If you can repeat it 100% of the time, you could have a friend start the car while you listen under the hood, to localize the sound. Then maybe go from there?
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I have a 2.0 and I believe that this has happened once, for no specific reason I can think of.
      Nick
      There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

My guess it would be the starter engage bit (for lack of a technical name) it is spit out when you turn the car over to turn the flywheel. If it is not fully engaged ie worn or battery voltage low, it will make a horrible noise. My old 85 diesel did it all the time when it was cold out. You can tell if you take the starter off and the end of the gear is rounded off a bit, then it is time for a rebuild of a check on the starter wiring. Just my $0.02
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
          My guess it would be the starter engage bit (for lack of a technical name) it is spit out when you turn the car over to turn the flywheel. If it is not fully engaged ie worn or battery voltage low, it will make a horrible noise. My old 85 diesel did it all the time when it was cold out. You can tell if you take the starter off and the end of the gear is rounded off a bit, then it is time for a rebuild of a check on the starter wiring. Just my $0.02
          Thanks for the info.. apparantly this is a common problem for the MKIV's talked to a guy that works at the dealer.. apprantly if I take the starter out, clean it and lube it it should fix the problem.... appranly clutch dust gets in the solenoid and causes it to "stick"..

free is always a good fix for me! so I will try that out and see what happens.
          I will take a look at the gear on the starter when I do so aswell

Comment

same thing happens to me all the time. car always runs great so i just "get used to it".

I'm going to remove the starter though clean it and lube it all up.
            Last edited by seanfournier; 04-06-2004, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X