Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Quick!) Help w/ A-pillar gauge install

Hey guys,

Just bought a gauge and having a problem installing it. In regards to getting the A-pillar cover off. I've gotten the three clips off in the middle but there is a top clip that's holding the cover on. I've tried pulling hard but it seems like it is screwed or glued on. I have a 2002 Jetta with the airbags in the apillar.

HELP PLEASE!
    Bryce

2002 Jetta 1.8T Baltic Green Tiptronic
    APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Re: (Quick!) Help w/ A-pillar gauge install

hehe the beotch clip
    you have to remove the weather stripping and kinda pull away and you'll see this clip you must pull upward then it will release

Comment

Yipperz the blsted beotch clip! What Ryan said. You gotta slide the clip up, as in towards the roof. My clip was even being a beotch sliding it up.
      Neil
      '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Ok got that clip off, thanks

Now I need to know how the hell you guys fed the line through the firewall, it is a real *****. Any secret on how to do it?
        Bryce

APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

Originally posted by Tromping_Maniac
          Ok got that clip off, thanks

Now I need to know how the hell you guys fed the line through the firewall, it is a real *****. Any secret on how to do it?
          There is a black rubber grommet on the firewall approx. around where your DV is sitting in the engine compartment. Take your trusty swiss army knife and cut an x into it. Feed your line through the grommet into the cabin. Now,you gotta take all that lower dash off under the steering column as well as the cover around the fuse panel. There are a bunch of clips and screws to deal with there, but everything should come off nicely. Next, the trick is to feed the line in as straight a line to the where you will mounting the gauge. It's kind of a pain because you will find that the line likes to twist on you as you feed it through while on your back in a very awkward tight space, but it will be worth it when you find that you now have enough tube exposed to actually attach it the gauge without having to put your face into the windshield.
          Neil

mods to my car

Comment

dude you should be searching vortex lol.. its in the DIY.. flanders on here has one in the DIY actually

but as neil pointed out with his intructions.. its tight but you'l figure it out..
            good luck just post if you need more help and we'll get you through it

Comment

I'm Bryce's friend. We got the vacume line to the A-Pillar, thanks for the help. But now we are wiring the lights, but we arent sure where to hook the wires to. We have the headlight switch out, but theres a huge slew of wires in there and we dont know wich one to splice into in order to turn the light on when the headlights are turned on. Thanks.
              Bryce

Comment

I'm Bryce's friend. We got the vacume line to the A-Pillar, thanks for the help. But now we are wiring the lights, but we arent sure where to hook the wires to. We have the headlight switch out, but theres a huge slew of wires in there and we dont know wich one to splice into in order to turn the light on when the headlights are turned on. Thanks.
                I think I used the wires leading to the light dimmer switch thingy myself.

Bonus Tip: Don't run the vacuum line between the top of the clutch and the switch it presses against. (Don't ask.)
                Pat
                Driver Found: Camber Wanted

Comment

What do you mean by the dimmer switch? The switch that turns the headlights on and off? If so that is what I am talking about. We have that off, but there are probably 8 or 10 wires comming out of the back of it, which ones do we use? Thanks
                  Bryce

Comment

What do you mean by the dimmer switch? The switch that turns the headlights on and off? If so that is what I am talking about. We have that off, but there are probably 8 or 10 wires comming out of the back of it, which ones do we use? Thanks
                    the dimmer is that little slidey scale that yo ucan set how dim/light you want the dash.
                    Simon

Comment

Sorry about my friend he's a like slow when it comes to VW's. I've got the vacum lines connected but no electrical because I have no f***ing clue where to splice into it. But the biggest probelm is when I fired up the car the gauge doesn't move. I figure I must have a kink in the line somewhere but I'm not sure. Gonna need some major help tomorrow.
                      Bryce

Comment

Its installed, but theres one problem! It doesnt work! I think there must be a kink in the vacume line somewhere! This is really frustrating. I hour! LMAO! It took us 5, and we still havent wired the light in! Hahahah, amature mechanics are slow tho.
                        Bryce

Comment

Awesome stuff!
                          2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Its installed, but theres one problem! It doesnt work! I think there must be a kink in the vacume line somewhere! This is really frustrating. I hour! LMAO! It took us 5, and we still havent wired the light in! Hahahah, amature mechanics are slow tho.
                            As Simon says, the dimmer switch is the slidey dealy to the left of the turny light switch. There are three wires going to the dimmer switch. Tap into the two outside wires. It really doesn't matter which wire goes to where, because you can just flip the LED around at the gauge. I used some of these quick spice connectors to tap into each wire. Works great and easy to use.

Neil

mods to my car

Comment

yea i used those as neil gave me some they worked well

Comment

Working...
                              X