coilover help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coilover help!!

alright, i'm a newb when it comes to suspension.
    I want to get coilovers!

i got a good deal on the following: http://store5.yimg.com/I/autotoyaz_1783_15790586

what u guys think? is that a good brand? or should i go with something else? and will i need new struts?
    Art || Tornado Red Jetta GLI

Re: coilover help!!

Ive never heard of that brand before but, I dont know a whole bunch about this stuff before.
    ---------------------

Aly

"Is it still considered paying for sex if you skip out on the bill?"

Comment

That style of CO are the ones you need to mount to shocks/struts, so you can use your factory ones, but if you're working with a 4" drop, I hear your factories will not last.....you will need to get aftermarket shocks/struts, and weld the perches and all to the bodies....
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

oh i'm not going 4 inch drop maybe about 1.5-2 inch

Comment

Originally posted by HavoK
          oh i'm not going 4 inch drop maybe about 1.5-2 inch
          I wouldn't get the coilovers that use the stock shocks... just get the Weitec kit if you really want to save money, its the least expensive. Or get a cupkit.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

oh and one more thing...I'm not doing this for performance...this is all for looks. And I want a comfortable ride.

Comment

Originally posted by HavoK
              oh and one more thing...I'm not doing this for performance...this is all for looks. And I want a comfortable ride.
              you're not going to have a comfortable ride when lowered on stock shocks.
              Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                you're not going to have a comfortable ride when lowered on stock shocks.
                Yeah, you'll be bouncing all over the place. I'd get shocks/struts and springs that are matched and designed specifically for your car. All springs have a resonance frequency that, if aren't mated to a damper (shock or strut) with a matching coefficient of damping, will cause your suspension to not be critically damped. Meaning, every bump you take, you'll look like this:

Versus this:
                Neil
                '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Wow, good explanation!
                  Nick
                  There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                  --Albert Einstein

Comment

WOW Neil..... Bringing in the tech info.

Yea I would stay away from that type of suspension for sure. Maybe go with a cup-kit, or even a weitec kit if you want something cheaper.
                    Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Since the other one was all bouncy would that be detrimental to handling?
                      ---------------------

Aly

Comment

Originally posted by Cedrick
                        Since the other one was all bouncy would that be detrimental to handling?
                        well it would be detrimental to your ass as you moan in pain from the bouncing, but then again, it could be beneficial since your girlfriends cleavage is probably doing the same amount of bouncing.
                        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by liquid
                          WOW Neil..... Bringing in the tech info.

Yea I would stay away from that type of suspension for sure. Maybe go with a cup-kit, or even a weitec kit if you want something cheaper.
                          Hehe, that was one of the few things I remembered from my vibrations course.
                          Neil
                          '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                            well it would be detrimental to your ass as you moan in pain from the bouncing, but then again, it could be beneficial since your girlfriends cleavage is probably doing the same amount of bouncing.

So there are pros and cons to this eh

I LOVE BOOBIES! mabey I should trade in my H&R kit for a set of these boobie bouncing coils!
                            ---------------------

Aly

Comment

I think "JOM" stuff is really inexpensive too. They make coilover setups and were the cheapest I found around. Now having said that, suspension probably isn't the best thing to "cheap out" on. I'm not sure of the quality, the stuffs from Germany I think and PG sells it.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X