What oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil?

What oil does everyone use, and how often do you change it?
    2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Re: What oil?

mobil 1 delvac 1, every 16k km.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

castrol syntec 5 40 every 8k

Comment

I have no idea... SouthCentre put in whatever they usually put in. Is it really that big of a deal? I know that people have religious feelings about which oil is best, but I'd love to know what the big deal is.

What are the top few kinds of oil that people use in 1.8T engines?

I need to get my oil changed very soon so I'm interested in this discussion.

Edit: oh and to answer the original question I changed my oil at 8k and i have 12.5k on my car now... but it's been 6 months since my last change so I'm gonna do it in a week or so anyways.
        Last edited by Billip; 03-22-2004, 05:33 PM.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
          I have no idea... SouthCentre put in whatever they usually put in. Is it really that big of a deal? I know that people have religious feelings about which oil is best, but I'd love to know what the big deal is.

What are the top few kinds of oil that people use in 1.8T engines?

I need to get my oil changed very soon so I'm interested in this discussion.
          The recommended oil is any synthetic 5w40.

Interestingly, Mr. Corky Bell recommends avoiding wide-range multi-viscocity oils. Apparently the materials that create the multiviscocity capability are the same materials that more easilly "cook" on the insides of a really hot turbocharger. So he says 20w50 is a better oil than 10w50 for a given turbo application.

Personally I don't know anything about oil. Comments?
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

billip, just wait until you have 16k. apparently there are oils for turbo cars, in europe you can buy turbo diesel oil. its 0w40, i think vw recommends 5w40 for tdi's, so thats what i buy, heavy duty diesel engine synthetic oil, its $38 a gallon at wallmart or so. really tests have been done on the oil, it will almost last 32k before needing a change, lol.

edit, or wait, i think its 0w40, and that turbo diesel one was 5w40. i forget.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

A good quality synthetic oil at whatever rating the manufacturer recommends is best. If you can find a synthetic 5W30 that's acceptable by VW in your manual (if its a Mk IV diesel that would be a CF-4 rating or VW 502/505 I believe) you'd be ready for operation in any temperature, especially cold weather starts. I'm not convinced a 5w40 is appropriate for our climate, as its really weather rated down to about -18C or so, which can still happen on any given night 7 months of the year in Calgary.

With a full synthetic you shouldn't have to worry about anything "cooking" inside the car, as its made to run fluidly and be temperature resistant.

I wouldn't try to run 10 or 15W oil in Calgary other than maybe the 3 or 4 summer months in any vehicle under a V8.

I'm convinced most people have winter stalls due to inappropriate oil choice, not mechanical failure. And all those dead batteries in winter you see are often from people running the wrong oil and spending 10 minutes trying to start the thing.

Oil *is* that important. You can't really change it too often, and its the lifeblood of the engine. More important than any other aftermarket add-on or hardware. If the oil sucks, it'll drag down overall performance and reliability with it.

Comment

speaking of service, scfc called me tonight telling me i had to come in for service, lmfao!

--sir we notice your car needs service..
                ^how do you know?
                --are you at 40k?
                ^i'm way past that...
                --you need to get your oil changed!
                ^says who? my book says every 16k lady.
                --for better performance and longetivity, we recommend every 8k.
                ^you mean you need to meet your quota somehow.
                --excuse me?
                ^why should i listen to a person who gets $10/hour to make these phone calls as opposed to vw engineers who make more than you ever will? if you say to me right now that you know more than them, i will come in for an oil change tomorrow morning first thing!
                --(silence)

HANGUP! ahah, that'll give her something to think about before calling me again. 5th called about 2 weeks ago, but i didnt answer, my dad did, i will be ready for them next time.
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I use and love Mobil1 5/30

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                    speaking of service, scfc called me tonight telling me i had to come in for service, lmfao!

--sir we notice your car needs service..
                    ^how do you know?
                    --are you at 40k?
                    ^i'm way past that...
                    --you need to get your oil changed!
                    ^says who? my book says every 16k lady.
                    --for better performance and longetivity, we recommend every 8k.
                    ^you mean you need to meet your quota somehow.
                    --excuse me?
                    ^why should i listen to a person who gets $10/hour to make these phone calls as opposed to vw engineers who make more than you ever will? if you say to me right now that you know more than them, i will come in for an oil change tomorrow morning first thing!
                    --(silence)

HANGUP! ahah, that'll give her something to think about before calling me again. 5th called about 2 weeks ago, but i didnt answer, my dad did, i will be ready for them next time.
                    You are really building up that negative karma man. She's just doing her job.
                    billip
                    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by seanfournier
                      I use and love Mobil1 5/30
                      Where do you get it from and how much does it usually cost?
                      billip
                      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

lol billip! i had to put an end to this nonsense, i think i've been called like 3-4 times already in the past couple of months!
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

bill you can buy mobil1 5/30 at walmart for like 30 for a 5L.. i use the castrol syntec 5/40 cuz if i run my engine hard i know the oil is doing its job.. i would rather use mobil 1 but they don't have 5/40 here and only 0/40 which will apparantly (by the dealers) cause my car to run like crap and die.. even tho 10000x people on vortex use it

edit.. i also don't use mobil 0/40 because the only place that sells it is SCFC as its factory fill for porches and its 15/L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Last edited by R_Ethug; 03-23-2004, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X