Revo 4 Bar review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revo 4 Bar review

Just found this board, so I figured I'd start off with a review of Revo 4 bar flash from matrix motorsports in Edmonton. Car is a 2003 1.8T with TB exhaust, CAI. Software has nice power, holds around 18PSI up to about 5K RPM, then drops off to about 14 PSI at 6K RPM. Feels like it has better top end than the Revo demo flash running on 3 bar FPR. Worth every cent. I'll post 1/4 times once Bud park opens

Re: Revo 4 Bar review

sweet..welcome to the boards.. who reffered you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
      sweet..welcome to the boards.. who reffered you?
      I'm not sure who it was. I was over on vwvortex last week talking about the Revo demo and somebody IM'd with this link.

Comment

haha that was probably me

Comment

Welcome dood. I'd be interested in your comments on the Revo. Post away.
          Neil
          '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Yah a bunch of us are going to make the trip up to Matrix - the only con to the 4bar is increased gas consumption? Notice anything else?

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
              Yah a bunch of us are going to make the trip up to Matrix - the only con to the 4bar is increased gas consumption? Notice anything else?

Khyron
              Gas consumption with the 4bar FPR is not an issue. I've gone through almost a tank of fuel since the reflash and there is no noticeable change. No worries

I did some research and sent an email to Revo directly with this question because I didn't want to clobber my gas mileage. The answer was that there is very little difference between the 3 and 4 bar programs. What the 4bar program and FPR does is give you a little more boost and timing (from my boost gauge the demo program and 4bar program seemed to putout the same boost) on the top end. The 4bar FPR gives you some more room to play with the SPS3 and not have to worry about maxing out your injectors when running higher boost/timing. Bottom line for me was that it seems safer to run the 4bar, and economy only sucks if your full throttle all the time.

PS I ran with the 4 bar FPR and stock program for a few days before getting the 4bar flash. Saw absolutely no difference. No idle hiccups, same stock fuel economy, same stock power/boost. The 4bar only gives you about 15% more fuel at the injector anyway (ecu can compensate +- 25%) and the ecu seems to adapt pretty quickly to it.

Comment

are you running a stock or aftermarket dv? how about n75 vavle? is there any surging problems with revo?
                Eric
                2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Comment

Originally posted by Jetta03

PS I ran with the 4 bar FPR and stock program for a few days before getting the 4bar flash. Saw absolutely no difference. No idle hiccups, same stock fuel economy, same stock power/boost. The 4bar only gives you about 15% more fuel at the injector anyway (ecu can compensate +- 25%) and the ecu seems to adapt pretty quickly to it.
                  Wouldn't it give 30% more fuel to each injector?
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                    Wouldn't it give 30% more fuel to each injector?
                    that's what you'd think if you do the math. I read it increases fuel about 15% (I think on vortex somewhere), I don't think 30% more fuel pressure = 30% more flow. Could be wrong, who knows

For the other post, the car has 3" DP with test pipe, magnaflow catback, cai, HKS SSQ BOV (plumbed back for recirc) and that's about it. N75 is stock, and it doesn't seem to surge yet.
                    Last edited by Jetta03; 03-22-2004, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Higher fuel pressure just means that the injectors can decrease their duty cycle...more pressure = less open time for the injector...so no, not necissarily increasing fuel consumption....
                      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
                        Higher fuel pressure just means that the injectors can decrease their duty cycle...more pressure = less open time for the injector...so no, not necissarily increasing fuel consumption....
                        If the program doesn't know you're on a 4-bar FPR then the injector duty cycle will be the same.

However if you run rich, the ECU will adapt based on the O2 sensor...
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

right, so if it senses the rich state, the ECU should reduce the fuel input ---> decreasing injector pulse time.....I'm not totally sure, but that is how it plays out in my head...
                          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
                            right, so if it senses the rich state, the ECU should reduce the fuel input ---> decreasing injector pulse time.....I'm not totally sure, but that is how it plays out in my head...
                            Yep but it does this slowly, and can only adapt about 20% (so I hear). So if you put in a 4-bar instead of a 3-bar, you'll have 30% more pressure, which should equal about 30% more fuel, so you'd still be 10% richer even at the maximum adaptation? You may also just get "runs rich" engine codes simply because the adaptation is maxed, or because the ECU is wondering why it keeps detecting too rich with the expected injector rate.

So those are possible problems, but its also possible that it would just work. The ECU's behavior is the most confusing thing in the universe.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                              Yep but it does this slowly, and can only adapt about 20% (so I hear). So if you put in a 4-bar instead of a 3-bar, you'll have 30% more pressure, which should equal about 30% more fuel, so you'd still be 10% richer even at the maximum adaptation? You may also just get "runs rich" engine codes simply because the adaptation is maxed, or because the ECU is wondering why it keeps detecting too rich with the expected injector rate.

So those are possible problems, but its also possible that it would just work. The ECU's behavior is the most confusing thing in the universe.
                              30% more pressure does not mean 30% more fuel. Fuel flow varies as the square of pressure increase. So your really getting about 11% more fuel. Check out

http://edragracer.trishield.com/auto...ector-flow.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X