Age Old Question, I'm Sure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Old Question, I'm Sure.

Well, I have been upwards and backwards and sideways on this forum, and I still can't really find what I'm looking for.

Let me start by saying that I am very open minded on the subject I am about to address, however, my wallet is not quite as open, as it were.

I am having a VERY hard time finding anything in the 5 Speed VR6 Category below 2001 in the price range I can afford.

Sooo, that being said, I am stuck looking at some 2000/2001 1.8t Jetta GLS's.

Honestly guys, I don't want personal opinions, just numbers.

How much of a performance hit am I taking by buying the 2000 1.8t instead of a VR6?

Am I taking a hit at all? Could I notice any difference in the 2 cars?

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: Age Old Question, I'm Sure.

I'll give you a bit of info here.

First of all, in 2000 the 1.8t's only had 150hp and the smaller KO3 turbo, its still a great car, and if you chip it, expect about ~195hp and ~240 torque at the crank. If you can find a 2001, then I would suggest going this route, because they do still only have 150hp, but they came equipped with a KO3 Sport turbo, which was a KO3/KO4 hybrid. Stock for stock they're similar, but when you chip the 2001 you'll get ~205hp/~245 torque.

So, if you're keeping your Jetta stock, the 174 horsepower from the VR6 will win out and definately be a faster car, but with $500 spent on a chip, your 1.8T will be faster than the VR6. However the way the cars get the power is a totally different feeling, the VR6 is naturally aspirated so the power is there whenever you want it, but the 1.8t you have to wait for the turbo to spool up. (usually 2000RPM fully spooled).

edit: dont be fooled by 2001 1.8T's, some came with the K03 (AWD) and some came with the KO3 Sport (AWW).
    Last edited by Simon; 03-09-2004, 05:56 PM.
    Simon

Comment

Good info there Simon!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

As mentioned on previous threads, weight is also a big issue. The VR6 may be more powerful than the 1.8t when stock. However, it also weighs a heck of a lot more! This added weight will affect handling and acceleration. The 1.8t is also more fuel efficient (in fact chipping can also increase fuel economy).

In my opinion, the only reason to get a VR6 is if you dislike the different power delivery that comes with a turbocharged engine.

As for your question about whether you would be able to notice the difference between the two cars - absolutely. They drive totally different.
        Last edited by Kor; 03-09-2004, 07:27 PM.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
          As for your question about whether you would be able to notice the difference between the two cars - absolutely. They drive totally different.
          I agree that they do drive totally different. But both engine's have their merit. I believe the weight difference between the VR and the T is only about 60lbs (correct me if I'm wrong). That does make a difference, but it's not the end all and be all. Drive both, and decide which one you like. We can all give you our opinion, and they are both good engine's.
          Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Working...
          X