K04 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K04 Turbo

Hey everyone, Im so excited! I just bid on a K04 Turbo on E-bay, I cant wait to see if I get it! Im pretty excited. Have any of you guys heard anything good/bad about this turbo? Lemme know, thanx

Cedrick
    ---------------------

Aly

"Is it still considered paying for sex if you skip out on the bill?"

Re: K04 Turbo

i dont have a 1.8t but isnt that the same as the stock one?
    Al
    Hitler Built My Hotrod

Comment

Originally posted by golf2.0t
      i dont have a 1.8t but isnt that the same as the stock one?
      The stock one is the k03 or k03 sport depending on the year (150hp vs 180 hp).
      Neil
      '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by Cedrick
        Hey everyone, Im so excited! I just bid on a K04 Turbo on E-bay, I cant wait to see if I get it! Im pretty excited. Have any of you guys heard anything good/bad about this turbo? Lemme know, thanx

Cedrick
        Did you do much research about this turbo before you bought it? because its definately not an efficient upgrade for your engine. You already have the K03sport which is a hybrid k03/k04. K04's have a good chance of dying, if you look at the history of them on vortex.

So not only are you bidding on a turbo that will make at most 10-15hp, but is not reliable, and costs alot of money. Only way a k04 turbo upgrade is efficient is on the old AWD engine type (150hp) as they only have regular k03's.
        Simon

Comment

lol, dont listen to them cedrick! through that sucker in, will give you 225hp, just like a audi tt, chip that, and you got 265hp, aahah.

they're jealous you will waste them on dyno day...
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

bah bart! my revo will 0wn! lol

Comment

Hey Ryan, I talked to Ken at C1 today and he said he plans to go down to get trained on the APR stuff in the next 3 to4 weeks.

Cedrick, I've read that the modified k04 can have reliablity issues, but I think Bart is right. An unmodified k04 is reliable. I don't see why they would be any less reliable than the k03 or k03 sport. This is all hearsay though...
              Last edited by 1.8Trip; 03-03-2004, 11:49 PM.
              Neil
              '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

i see.. well if they have APR before the dyno day then i'll get that.. if not then revo

Comment

no man, remember, upsolute! you're cluster wont work properly with anything else, lol
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                    Did you do much research about this turbo before you bought it? because its definately not an efficient upgrade for your engine. You already have the K03sport which is a hybrid k03/k04. K04's have a good chance of dying, if you look at the history of them on vortex.

So not only are you bidding on a turbo that will make at most 10-15hp, but is not reliable, and costs alot of money. Only way a k04 turbo upgrade is efficient is on the old AWD engine type (150hp) as they only have regular k03's.
                    Oooooohhh, Kiss yo mama at the bus stop, cuz Simon just took you to school lol

Seriously though, I would think the K04 would be equally reliable on a stock engine.
                    Derick

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                      lol, dont listen to them cedrick! through that sucker in, will give you 225hp, just like a audi tt, chip that, and you got 265hp, aahah.

they're jealous you will waste them on dyno day...
                      that is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. oh, and the k04 turbo on the audi TT's are different than ones for our cars.
                      Last edited by Simon; 03-04-2004, 12:11 AM.
                      Simon

Comment

Yeah Im planning to do an APR chip, Full exhaust, and intake in may when APR comes to calgary. I did do a little reading on the relability issues and everyone seemed to have their own opinion, some people said they were bad and other said they had no problem. . . I donno what to believe :shrug:

Theres still 5 days left in the bid so I guess Ill have to wait and see I just put the bid in today and Ive been checking my email like every 10 minutes to see if someone out bid me. Im really excited

Im pretty much just bidding on the K04 Turbo, theres nothing else included. I figure the gaskets cant be more then 200 bucks, add new spark plugs, and an ECU (APR hopefully), a new fuel presure regulator and I got a Stage II turbo . . .I think . . . Neuspeeds same kit with their ECU hit 240 at the fly, the APR kit which includes almost the same stuff as the neuspeed kit, hit 242hp/268lb, thats with no other mods then a APR Turbo-Back Exhaust. . .

I will look into the reliability issue a little more Simon, if worst comes to worst Im sure I could just post this thing back up on Ebay again. Thanx for the advice. If you could also lemme know where I could do a little more reading on it that would be appreciated as well.

Cedrick is excited!
                        Last edited by Cedrick; 03-04-2004, 12:14 AM.
                        ---------------------

Aly

Comment

Originally posted by C-town Driver
                          Oooooohhh, Kiss yo mama at the bus stop, cuz Simon just took you to school lol

Seriously though, I would think the K04 would be equally reliable on a stock engine.
                          don't take my word for it, do your research on the vortex. 80% of those with k04 kits said they'll never do it again! APR just released their k04 kit which produces 245hp and 270 torque when used with APR 93 octane chip and 2.5" turboback exhaust. that works out to be 208 whp... not much more than a worked k03sport can produce... like i said.. 10-15hp improvement.

and you said reliable on a stock engine, sure it probably would be, but you're not stock if you're upgrading the turbo, you chip it to run k04 software which creates more boost than it was made for and leads to premature failure
                          Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                            you chip it to run k04 software which creates more boost than it was made for and leads to premature failure
                            What do you mean by this? Isnt the K04 able to make more boost then the K03 Sport? So do you mean premature failure for your engine or your turbo. . . or both?
                            ---------------------

Aly

Comment

Originally posted by Cedrick
                              the APR kit which includes almost the same stuff as the neuspeed kit, hit 242hp/268lb, thats with no other mods then a APR Turbo-Back Exhaust. . .
                              thats very true, but APR also reports 209hp/242lb-ft with just the chip on stock turbo, no exhaust. given that a the full 2.5" APR turbo back exhaust probably gives 20hp (at most) bringing estimates up 229/262 I'd say you're looking at a 13hp gain. (this is all rough estimates, of course).
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X