New GLI has arrived!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New GLI has arrived!!!!

It does cost at least $10k US if you went out to buy all of the changes on the 20th AE (from a stock GLS GTI)... but I mean ALL (including complete repaint) changes... and of course we're talking retail price... you might get all the stuff on special but you'd still pay a complete fortune. Of course VW has economies of scale... but that's a good thing... saves me money! And I'm ok with my "unique" being 1 of 3 in Calgary, and 1 of 50 in Canada.

I think the "special edition" models like the 337, 20th AE and '04 GLI are awesome and are truly cost effective compared to modding your own car to that degree.

PS: ...and it's not just cause I own one.
    Last edited by Billip; 03-05-2004, 05:33 PM.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
      One of the 'selling points' of the 20ae's and the 337's that makes it a 'good deal' are the 18 inch wheels. When I bought my GTI I even downgraded the wheels from 17's to 16's as the big ones just kill off performance.
      BBS RCs come in at only 18.5 lbs for 18x7.5s which is pretty good!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
        Dude, if you can get 190whp out of your pre - k03-sport turbo without replacing the turbo? I will eat my hat hahaha..and my boots, shirt..hell, my entire closet!
        i meant you can easily get it on a 2001+ 1.8t with the k03sport. as in the one that comes on said GLI's and 20th AE's. oh, and there are a few in the club that have reached the 190 mark already.

edit: and on the remark about the normal k03, mine was able to do 250 torque with just a chip. nothing else. will you steal eat your hat?
        Last edited by Simon; 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM.
        Simon

Comment

Well, I've owned both VR6 and 1.8T and enjoyed both for different reasons.

VR6-smooth, trouble free, nice exhaust note.

1.8T-less expensive(purchase price), better fuel economy, better balance.

Yes a chipped k03 can be a little spastic, but after upgrading the turbo in my car it has a very smooth and linear powerband.

Anyway I would be just as happy driving either.
          2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Man, it's like being in a Corrado forum all over again. You guys are forgetting one thing that can be a huge advantage.....has anyone looked at the weight distribution. One of the selling points of the lighter engine is usually better weight distribution. The VR6 is a HEAVY engine (oh, and it never used to be all that reliable).

Haha, it just seemed to be dying down a little so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
            Jay

Comment

Like I said, the 1.8T has better balance.

I think the early vr6s in the corrados had some problems with overheating because of the tiny engine bay that was originally intended for a 4cyl.

I had a mk3 gti vr6 with 160ooo km and aside from a failed maf and speed sensor, never had any problems.
              2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

The VR is only like 60 pounds or so heavier than the 18T. A chip and exhaust will get you close to 190ish whp, use less gas and be several thousand cheaper. The internals are stronger as the 1.8T is renouned for being one of the toughest engines around. 5 Valves per cylinder instead of 4.

But it's all personal preference. Even if the VR was the same price as the 1.8, I still would have gotten the 1.8. If one engine was so dramatically better than the other, we'd all have the same.

Khyron
                Last edited by Khyron; 03-08-2004, 02:16 PM.
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Where in gods name are you getting your dynos done if you think you can pull 190whp with a chip and exhaust? When they say your gonna get 35hp / 40tq out of a chip, thats best case senerio to the fylwheel, it proally works out being more like 20hp / 25tq to the wheels at MOST. Exhaust? You'd be extremely lucky to get 10 to the wheels from.

Now, the only car I've ever played around with that was heavily modded is a '68 mustang, but if I was getting all the hp/tq gains that it says on the box for parts, the 'stang would be pushin 600hp when its actually running just over 400 at the rear wheels.

and I know that a 24v GLI with exhaust, intake, chip, and more is only putting 187 to the wheels...I just find it hard to believe that a 1.8t with less mods can beat that
                  Last edited by James; 03-09-2004, 12:41 PM.
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

Where in gods name are you getting your dynos done if you think you can pull 190whp with a chip and exhaust? When they say your gonna get 35hp / 40tq out of a chip, thats best case senerio to the fylwheel, it proally works out being more like 20hp / 25tq to the wheels at MOST. Exhaust? You'd be extremely lucky to get 10 to the wheels from.
                    Take a look at Kor and Holkswagon's dyno's, I think Holkswagon was high 180's, and Kor was ~190'sh to the wheels, at Concept-1's dynojet.

edit: and its way more than 20hp/25torque at the wheels, I know personally on my small K03 i got boosted to 190hp/250torque at crank, with just a chip. That's 40hp and 80torque gain? *roughly*

come join us at dyno day and prove us wrong though, i'm usaully wrong anyway.
                    Last edited by Simon; 03-09-2004, 01:15 PM.
                    Simon

Comment

with revo and my mods i'll be pushing over 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... we'll see lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                        with revo and my mods i'll be pushing over 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... we'll see lol
                        Just a hair under 177 to the wheels here, and not chipped. Of course it's all relative - dyno jets often give a few more hps to the wheels, but as long as most of us are on the same dyno, it shows what gains we're getting. Comparing to another dyno in Cali or something won't be accurate but then dynos in general aren't.

Khyron
                        Last edited by Khyron; 03-09-2004, 05:27 PM.
                        Geoff

Comment

and I know that a 24v GLI with exhaust, intake, chip, and more is only putting 187 to the wheels...I just find it hard to believe that a 1.8t with less mods can beat that
                          The 1.8T is detuned. Remember, it's the same engine in the 225 hp TT and THAT is detuned as well. Chipping on a NA car gets negligible gains - but on a FI car turning up the boost gives huge gains. I'm shooting for 200 whp with no turbo upgrades - I may not reach it but it will be very close.

1.8T has been on Wards top 10 engine list 3 times in the last few years - that's top 10 mass produced engines period. That's in good company with the G35 V6, the BMW I6 (M3 engine) and the Mini I4 among others.

Khyron
                          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                            Remember, it's the same engine in the 225 hp TT and THAT is detuned as well.
                            well.. no its not exactly the same.
                            Simon

Comment

yea but its still great to tell people who don't know better that your car has an audi engine in it

Comment

20TH AE had a MSRP of 35 105$(with transport fee's). If I wanted a lexus, mustang or something else, I could of got it, but I wanted to stick with VW, and liked the package on the 20Th AE, so I bought one, and glad I did so
                                2006 Golf TDI
                                BMP 20Th AE GTI- R.I.P
                                www.vwquebec.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X