New GLI has arrived!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New GLI has arrived!!!!

They made this car to get rid of parts and help maintain the sales on the aging platform. If you look at VW history they almost always have a special edition/version before they bring out hte next generation. My thoughts anyway and I still wouldn't mind one in Platinum Grey
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I LOVED my Passat, even if it was the lousy 150 hp engine. It was a Black Magic wagon, 5 speed, 16 inch wheels, pimp tinted and it had the VW lowering kit. Hot hot hot car.

I've had five Mustangs in my life so far and once I destroy my play-toy car (a heavily modified 98 Neon) I will buy another stupid fast car, like a Mustang.

I bought the GTI so I could have a quick car that didn't drive like a coal cart on a gravel road and also have room in the back to shove three larger dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
        Well remember the car is msrp of just under $33,000, so you guys are still a fair ways away from Cobras and G35s. However for this price I don't think you can find too many cars that are 6 speeds, body kitted, turbo charged, great interiors and with 18" BBS in that price range. Hell this car is less then my 337 that I got over a year and a half ago and a Jetta will be easier to resell

If I was looking for a new dub I am not sure I could pass this up!
        I would have to totally agree with this statement. If i were in the market for a new car I would do this up, but since if I did it now i would be severely molested by the bank, I think I'll hold back...

Comment

Im with Blake on this one.

They got huge mass-buying power with BBS and proally pay like $100/wheel for the rims or somthing like that. Whoever said they put $10,000 worth of mods in it? NAH! haha Maybe street value, but its no longer unique, which is part of the reason to mod a car in the first place.

Im just unhappy with the 1.8t part of it tho...if im gonna spend that kind of bank on a car Id rather have a quality engine (no offense 1.8t owners, but the VR6 is far superior IMO) than some flashy rims and a chrome package.

But to each his own
          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
          -james

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
            Im with Blake on this one.

They got huge mass-buying power with BBS and proally pay like $100/wheel for the rims or somthing like that. Whoever said they put $10,000 worth of mods in it? NAH! haha Maybe street value, but its no longer unique, which is part of the reason to mod a car in the first place.

Im just unhappy with the 1.8t part of it tho...if im gonna spend that kind of bank on a car Id rather have a quality engine (no offense 1.8t owners, but the VR6 is far superior IMO) than some flashy rims and a chrome package.

But to each his own
            not to mention the full recarro interior.. and body kit.

oh, and i'd take a 1.8t over the vr6 any day of the week. modability has alot to be said.
            Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
              not to mention the full recarro interior.. and body kit.

oh, and i'd take a 1.8t over the vr6 any day of the week. modability has alot to be said.

To get any kind of crazy horsepower out of a 1.8t is going to cost just as much as it will with a vr6. and you still dont get the deep throaty growl, or smoothness associated with the vr
              Last edited by Mr. Burns; 03-05-2004, 04:12 PM.

Present
              2010 Audi A4 S-Line
              2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
              2003 VW Jetta GLI
              1992 VW Jetta GL
              1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
                To get any kind of crazy horsepower out of a 1.8t is going to cost just as much as it will with a vr6. and you still dont get the deep throaty growl, or smoothness associated with the vr
                Ok, gloves are off.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

This could get interesting.
                  Neil
                  '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

lol.. no what mike said is true.. unless you do a DIY turbo kit on a 1.8T but the APR stage 3 vs a VF SC kit are pretty much equal in price and HP output once you slap them in..the 1.8T can be smooth too tho.. i like how it throws you into the seat tho.. the vr6 is a great engine too.. very smooth output all the way through the band..

Comment

Ill take a 2.8t over a 1.8t any day of the week lol

edit: please note that I did not say sh*t knocking the 1.8t before any of you anti vr guys get on the offense
                      Last edited by Mr. Burns; 03-05-2004, 04:29 PM.

Present
                      2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                      2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                      2003 VW Jetta GLI
                      1992 VW Jetta GL
                      1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

hahah Ok. What Im basically saying is that the '03 GLI is better than the '04gli but that doesnt mean that the '04 doesnt still kick ass. Both have the recaro's (different in each year, but equally hot), and they are totally the biz. (esp.the leather).

The mods on the 04 are alright, but Id take the more powerful, better sounding engine over them in a second. Cause as Mike said, the cost to get a 1.8 runnin 200whp+ is gonna be pretty close to the cost to run the VR6 that high.

I've driven both (as im sure most of you have) and I personally found that the 1.8 was a little choppy on the power and the VR6 was a much more smooth distrobution.

I say, if you like the '04? Buy a used '02 or '03 GLI and mack it out with the RCs or whatever you wanna do.

EDIT: Ok, of course if you own a 1.8t you think its the better engine Simon, but to get mad hp out of it, you need to basically replace the turbo. And if you can afford to replace the turbo in a 18t, you can afford to add one to a VR6. Then your lookin at 240+whp/240+tq..Mmmmm
                        Last edited by James; 03-05-2004, 04:35 PM.
                        -james

Comment

if this were the 'tex this would be so out of hand by now. lol
                          Last edited by Mr. Burns; 03-05-2004, 04:36 PM.

Present
                          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                          2003 VW Jetta GLI
                          1992 VW Jetta GL
                          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                            EDIT: Ok, of course if you own a 1.8t you think its the better engine Simon, but to get mad hp out of it, you need to basically replace the turbo. And if you can afford to replace the turbo in a 18t, you can afford to add one to a VR6. Then your lookin at 240+whp/240+tq..Mmmmm
                            don't get me wrong, the vr6 is an amazing engine. if i had the choice of the two engines, but had to leave it stock I would go with the vr6 without a doubt.

however, it might be true that its equal money to make crazy horsepower out of each, but who needs crazy horsepower? personally, i'm happy to go with a 1.8t that costs a few thousand less from the factory, spend $1000 of that money on a chip/exhaust and be happy with a 190whp car. thats of course, my opinion only, i know alot of people that think otherwise.

edit: personally I wouldnt have called this a GLI car, since to me GLI is always the top engine, fully loaded etc etc. It would make sense that it should use a 24v vr6. If they wanted to make a 20th AE clone like they did, they should have called it something else.
                            Last edited by Simon; 03-05-2004, 04:51 PM.
                            Simon

Comment

One of the 'selling points' of the 20ae's and the 337's that makes it a 'good deal' are the 18 inch wheels. When I bought my GTI I even downgraded the wheels from 17's to 16's as the big ones just kill off performance.

Comment

Dude, if you can get 190whp out of your pre - k03-sport turbo without replacing the turbo? I will eat my hat hahaha..and my boots, shirt..hell, my entire closet!
                                -james

Comment

Working...
                                X