5th Ave = Mod Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Ave = Mod Shop?

Someone at WoW mentioned that there was a Jetta with a Caractere front at 5th Ave VW. Being curious (I'd like that front for my own Jetta) I decided to go see it.

Well, there really was a Jetta there. Platinum grey, with Caractere front and sides (they look awesome), Caractere rear window spolier, Rieger rear, Supersprint Exhaust (also looks awesome, real nice tips), ABD Front mount Intercooler, ABD Turbo Inlet, the Projectzwo 18's (bling), Yokohama AVS tires, lowered on FK suspension, E-Codes and more. I would have to say that it was easilly as good as what we put in the show (its also a 2004 and brand new, that helps).

Oddly enough, there was a sticker on the window... "5th Ave Dubwerks"

So I went in and asked about it.

Apparently it was built for WoW but they had some trouble with the organization and getting a spot at the show (who didn't). The purpose: a brand new 2004 demo car, to launch 5th Ave as an aftermarket parts/installation shop for VW's in Calgary!

Right now, they are just ironing out their supply chains and so don't have a list of aftermarket parts or any kind of catalogue. However, I was told that if I had a request they would look into getting that part for me.

I asked about warranty. The response is that 5th ave wants to take a "different approach" to aftermarket mods. They will only complain about a modification in relation to warranty work if it directly causes a problem with the car. Although this sounds like the same old deal, I think that its probably true since they are putting in front mount intercoolers in the service bays now.

They stand behind their installation work, so I assume that if you bought something there and had them install it, they would be responsible if the "installation" was at fault for a warranty problem. However, if the "part" was at fault, you would be on your own. Also, the aftermarket parts themselves are not covered by VW warranty in any way.

So in summary, it looks like C1 has some competition. They carry different product lines than C1, they handle getting the parts and installing the parts (they can probably even hook up paint for body kits ordered there). Plus they are a dealership - some advantages, some disadvantages.

I made some inquiries about prices, especially the Caractere kit. The prices were honeslty a little too high. About 700+ for the front (vs 620 at AMI) or 2800 for the whole kit (vs 2600 at AMI).

Now would be an excellent time for someone official to go down there and talk with them about a club discount. We do have a lot of aftermarket exposure, and they are looking for publicity. Especially with our plans to do more shows this summer. I am sure we could work out a banner deal at least. Now that there have been some changes at 5th ave and also at NVD we might be able to make some kind of alliance.

I also tried to squeeze who their Caractere supplier was from them. Unfortunately, they would not reveal their source except that it was a "North American Distributor" for Caractere, and that it was "Not in Canada". So I assume that 5th ave has some kind of US hookup.
    Last edited by Kor; 02-23-2004, 10:09 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: 5th Ave = Mod Shop?

hmm interesting... however i thought dealerships wont install stuff unless they say vw on it.... is it lowered? i might have to go down and see it too!
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

its at the dealer.. i have to hit rudys tommorow about my side skirts so if i have time i'll stop by and talk to thier service dept? i dunno i'll check it out and let them peep my pzwo goodness lol

Comment

Its lowered, and they installed it all and will continue to do so... kinda surprising, but there is money to be made so why not?

Ryan if you go, see if they got their wheel alignment machine yet. I forgot to check.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

700 compared to 620...add shipping on to that 620 and you may aswell get it from them.
          Paul

Mayonnaise colour Benz, I push Miracle Whips!

Comment

Southcenter was mod friendly for awhile no? I'd be so damn happy if 5th ave agrees to support Revo or something (I don't mind forfeiting the turbo warranty).

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

yah i heard a long time ago that when the new 5th ave building was going to be built they'd have a seperate section for aftermarket stuff, didnt quite believe it till now though!
              Simon

Comment

There was no chip mentioned for that Jetta... kind of seemed "deliberately missing" if you get my drift. I didn't bring it up though.

The Caractere front was quoted at "700 plus... not including tax" which I translate to "750ish plus tax" which I translate to "800 bucks". Yes, AMI has them for $620 but during their group buy they went for $350 US... painfull to pay full price at either store. If anyone sees them come up on GB or used, send me a PM
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

where is AMI?
                  ---------------------

Aly

"Is it still considered paying for sex if you skip out on the bill?"

Comment

I want... no... NEED a caractere grille. ABD is ass

Present
                    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                    2003 VW Jetta GLI
                    1992 VW Jetta GL
                    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                      There was no chip mentioned for that Jetta... kind of seemed "deliberately missing" if you get my drift. I didn't bring it up though.

The Caractere front was quoted at "700 plus... not including tax" which I translate to "750ish plus tax" which I translate to "800 bucks". Yes, AMI has them for $620 but during their group buy they went for $350 US... painfull to pay full price at either store. If anyone sees them come up on GB or used, send me a PM
                      Kris, I was gonna go Caractere as no one here has it yet. However, I am still a long way from a body kit. So if you get one, I will just live vicariously through you. Anyway, I stumbled across these guys a little while ago. They are local but I don't know what their prices are like. You might wanna check them out.

http://www.anwaltinternational.com/
                      Neil
                      '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by merdenoms
                        I want... no... NEED a caractere grille. ABD is ass
                        Ahem.

Gonna be a lot of Caractere's running around soon. :P

Khyron
                        Geoff
                        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

lol geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                            Apparently it was built for WoW but they had some trouble with the organization and getting a spot at the show (who didn't).
                            well bill worked there before, they probably did something to make him leave, or booted him... surprised why that jetta wasn't in the show??? lol
                            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                              surprised why that jetta wasn't in the show??? lol
                              because some ghetto golf with no sideskirts stole his spot I suppose.
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X