Sway bar issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar issue

Hey so I noticed that my sway bar had been rubbing on my axle (drivers side) endlink was disconnected for a while on that side. Decided I might as well cut out my sway since it was only connected on one side anyways. Now that I have cut it out I get some shaking in my steering wheel when approaching speeds of 100+. I thought it might have been the front wheels that needed to be balanced as well as possibly an alignment due. After these two things the problem is still occurring. I will attempt to get the rear wheels balanced tomorrow to see if that is it. But I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what it could possibly be or if anyone else had ran into this issue.

Thanks.
    Dylan

Re: Sway bar issue

That sounds like an alignment issue to me. I had that issue with my last car before I had an alignment done and it just wouldn't feel planted on the road.

Comment

Alignment.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

That's the thing though. I had an alignment done today and it is still doing it.
        Dylan

Comment

hmmm worn bushings?
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

It might be due to weird tread wear on the tires due to postponing alignment after coils. Might need some new tires.
            Dylan

Comment

Doubtful, since I replaced the strut bushings in march or April when I did the coils.
              Dylan

Comment

I was thinking more control arm bushings.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

That could be possible I guess. Seems weird that I would feel it after taking out the sway though. How hard of a job is that?
                  Dylan

Comment

The sway would have added more stability to the control arm to limit its moving. Take that out and there would be more potential for them to move I would think? Get under and check if the bushings are cracked or showing general signs of wear. You would have to pull out the controll arms and hack out the old bushings and press in new ones.
                    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BolideVW View Post
                      That could be possible I guess. Seems weird that I would feel it after taking out the sway though. How hard of a job is that?
                      I think you need a press. I've seen guys setting up a jig on the floor and they actually drive up on it to press it in! Looks scary! haha
                      Last edited by jaysleeves; 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM.
                      Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

...woops!
                        Last edited by jaysleeves; 06-20-2012, 07:51 AM.
                        Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

That sounds super scary, but kind of clever. Pretty sure you could build a press easier than that. With a bottle jack, some steel, a drill and some bolts.

Comment

I have pressed in a few sets of bushings with just a bench vise....yes i may have slightly bent the handle a few times but it works. just crank it closed and press it in evenly. The other thing you can do if you are not slammed is get a set of poly bushings for cheap from C1. They are super easy to push in with a bench vise and shouldn't take more than a few hours to do everything from taking off the control arms to reassemble it.

But honestly check your alignment and tires first.

Comment

Hey guys, so I think I got this sorted out.

So figured I might as well get my rear wheels balanced to eliminate that variable. Brought it to Togo tire (where I bought the tires), the guy suggested also rotating them, so I said alright. To my surprise the guy did this free of charge, didn't have cash so I will have to go back to tip him at least. So would like to give a thumbs up to togo tires for their great customer service.

Although I did that it did not solve my issue. Got home figured I'd try and take off the 5mm spacers on the front. Brought it up to 100-125 with no shaking whatsoever. So I guess those crappy FK spacers were my issue. (Yes they were hubcentric)

so...anybody have 8mm+ spacers with extended lugs that they are willing to sell for a reasonable price.
                              Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X