MK4 TDI experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK4 TDI experiences

I am looking into getting a MK4 Jetta wagon as a DD and winter car. What i am looking for is to hear from guys with a MK4 TDI and see how they like them? How are they starting in winter? Is there anything to look for in terms of leaks or something like that that is common or pricey to repair? Do you have any negative feedback about these TDI? If i do get one it will be my first diesel anything so i am very new when it comes to diesel. Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Re: MK4 TDI experiences

I had one with the ALH engine. The later MK4's sedans had the PD, I assume the wagons are the same...
    For mine, timing belt was a biggie. I think they are due from 90-110,00km. Also, the intakes tend to clog if the EGR is stock. I'd say every 80,000km it needs a scrub, which can cost a bit if you don't do it yourself. Might be less build up with the better diesel we have now.

I had the big OEM battery. It would start always, although I did typically plug it in if it got cold. Make sure you get the heated seats. The engine doesn't warm up as fast as a gas and you will be chilly without on the cold days.

Not a problem for those who know what they are buying, but they do smoke a bit when cold, and smell a little like diesel. I've heard people ***** about this, but it's part of the package... it's a diesel.

Fuel costs +- the same as regular gas, but you can get killer range out of a tank. My best was 1150km, and the fuel light wasn't on yet. I really liked my MK4. Needed something bigger for the family, so I'm driving a Passat TDI now.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

So, there are two engines in the mk4 diesel wagon -- ALH and PD. The PD was started in 2004 and ran until 2006. The engine is designed to run on the highway and is not happy being idled for extended periods of time. I will admit, however, that the PD and ALH engines were better idler's than the current 2.0 CRD TDI Engine. If you're looking for a TDI, I would recommend having someone with TDI experience come on the test drive with you, or at least talk to a salesperson who you trust. The most common problem with the diesel engines is that the intake clogs off with suit from too much idling and city driving. This can also lead to other clogging that can result in other problems (turbo, camshaft)

Basically, buying a really low mileage car is generally a bad idea, as this is generally a car that hasn't been highway driven. Any expereinced TDI driver will be able to tell if the engine has the right amount of power (lower power is what happens when the "coke up")

As for winter starting, as long as it is plugged in, you're fine. I even have a client who used to work in Fort MacMurray, his car would sit for his 2 week stint and he never plugged it in -- it started every time. Now, that being said, I would still recommend that you plug it in to ensure more immediate heat in the cabin, otherwise you will be inclined to idle it for 15 minutes or more, which is not a good plan.

If you have any further questions, feel free to message me.
      sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

I have an 05 Golf PD TDI...love it, starts all the time without being plugged in...I do have a frostheater and would reccomend one...nice to get into your car at-10 and below with instant heat. If you do find a PD TDI...take it to George at TuneDub, have him check the cam wear...also make sure to get the service history...if the correct oil was not used, cam failure is a biggie. Nothing out of the norm with mine, front sway bar bushings went before the warrantee was up. Happy with it. I have a Unitronics stage1+ tune...zippy and great milage!
        Last edited by Geobmx4life; 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM.
        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

My PD say for a week when it was -30 this january. Started right up when I got home. I have always owned VW diesels and likely always will.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Diesel for the win! You will love it

I have had a mk4 alh and bew (PD) both a great! as the others of said:

Alh - carbon build up - easily fixed and can be stopped with a race pipe - I just finished building a stage 4 malone with my buddy goes like stink :P

bew - little more power than the alh, also have to check the cam wear that is a biggie.

As for the cold starting issues they are generally better than the older diesels. My mk2 needs to be plugged in when it gets colder than approx -18 or so. I also got myself a battery with 1000CCA just for the winter. I have also found that the Lubromoly diesel additive gives my car better cold starts and power too
            Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Personally out of the two engines I would find a 2003 ALH, was the last year of the 2003 and seemed to have the most bugs worked out.

What are the problems, there are many problems that could happen. Scheduled maintenance is key for these cars and keeping them on the road. Oil changes, timing belts, brake fluid changes, coolant changes, are all things that need to happen with these cars to keep them on the road and running well.

Stay away from an automatic though from 99.5-2003 as its not an if it will fail, but a when it will fail question.

Also take one for a test drive and don't expect it to be like your GTI. The torque curve is way different and thus is a different car to drive. Also remember that these engines were designed from the factory for economy, not getting your fast on. Now in saying that if you catch the mod bug you can make these things move when you need it.

In terms of winter, batteries are everything in terms of starting. My car had issues on the cold days we had this year, but the battery is 5-6 years old and will be changed before next winter. I have two coolant heaters sitting on a shelf in the garage, just never bothered to put them in yet.

I love mine, body has 385k km's on the clock and the engine has 120k km's I think. I only replaced it before the old engine needed a new timing belt and I found this one with less then 40k km's on it for a grand with an automatic fuel pump. I had time, so I figured why not just do it and be done with it.

Have any question's just ask away
              Ben
              2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
              2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
              2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
              Her's
              2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

I have an 02 ALH jetta and i absolutely love it. Id get the ALH over PD any day. EGR delete i super easy and you wont get the carbon build up. You may want a tune though if you want your engine light to stay out. Make sure you know what your getting yourself into... Diesels are expensive to fix and work on. Good luck finding an 03 jetta wagon tdi! I've been looking for almost a year now
                2002 Jetta TDI
                2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Maintenence is key. #1. Make sure because your buying used the seller has ALL service records. If buying a later model with the PD engine you'll want all oil change records due to pre mature cam wear. As for the EGR problem it really isn't a problem any more with our low sulphur diesel fuel. I opened my 05 to clean it 2 years ago and it was nearly spotless. Common problems are the same as any mkiv. The PD cam wear is the only thing I can think of engine wise. My jetta is hands down the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, even with the heavy modding I've done I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere any time.

Like I said though, maintenence is key.

Comment

I've had my 2001 MK4 ALH for 7 years now and gotta say you can't beat the range on the tank. Just keep the maintenance up and it will last a long time. The only thing I don't like is the warmup time in the winter. Get the big OEM battery and a battery pad to keep it warm and ZeroStart inline heater for better starting and faster warmup.

Later on you may want to get bigger injectors, chip, clutch, replace the VNT15 turbo, exhaust, etc., etc.
                    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Its not very likely i will be modding it at all I just want something reliable and economical to drive around when not driving my GTI and for some highway cruising. If the mods will help it be more reliable like EGR delete then i will do those mods but not go fast mods. I also heard from somebody awhile ago that you can get something changed in VAGcom to help get rid of some carbon build up maybe. I think that was with the EGR but is that possible with the ALH tdi or just the newer ones? Thanks for all the help so far guys, getting some great info here
                      Last edited by TheDiggler; 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDiggler View Post
                        Its not very likely i will be modding it at all I just want something reliable and economical to drive around when not driving my GTI and for some highway cruising. If the mods will help it be more reliable like EGR delete then i will do those mods but not go fast mods. I also heard from somebody awhile ago that you can get something changed in VAGcom to help get rid of some carbon build up maybe. I think that was with the EGR but is that possible with the ALH tdi or just the newer ones? Thanks for all the help so far guys, getting some great info here
                        for sure in the ALH you can reduce the EGR duty cycle to help reduce ERG clogging with vag com.
                        Stefan
                        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I miss my diesel a lot.

Comment

I bought a jetta diesel wagon a couple months ago, I love it.
                            Justin

Comment

A chip will give you more power + better fuel economy as well.
                              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                              Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Working...
                              X