Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering problem

Im looking for some help/insight on a problem that has just started occurring. I'm driving a mk5 gti and about a week ago installed coil overs. Driving home today while sitting at a red light, I turned my steering wheel while sitting stationary and heard a fairly loud snapping noise from what I think to be the steering gear??, or somewhere in the middle between the wheels. It very much sounds like a snapping noise rather than a popping or clunking noise and only happens when I turn the wheel right or left while stopped. Im thinking I have an inner tie rod issue due to the new steering angle with the car lowered but I'm hoping someone has come across this and can tell me if I'm warm or cold. The car still has factory warranty but I don't want to be told my warranty doesn't apply due to lowering.

Thanks.

Re: Steering problem

I'm not wondering if the liner is getting caught on the tire when you turn?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Not a bad suggestion, but the noise is/was very much a metallic snapping noise - Further to the "is/was" comment, it has subsided and reduced its intensity to more of a dull knock when I rock the steering wheel right/left. I lifted the car on a drive-on hoist and had a buddy rock the wheel. The tie-rod ends are at a fairly good angle as I've lowered it quite a bit but everything seems to be tight. The steering felt fine driving to work this morning, and aside from the noise last night, the problem seems to be getting better - Ive worked automotive service for 13 years......That never happens!. There is still very much a slight knocking noise from the steering but certainly not nearly as loud as last night. My worry is that something has started letting go, and is getting worse and creating more damage like stripping threads from anm inner tie-rod and the snapping was those threads letting go - now that its not so bad, im worried that the threads are gone and im simply waiting for a tie-rod to fail while im driving. I might be paranoid, but.....

Comment

Stripping a tie rod would be a first, I have never heard of that happening before. Are they dual rate springs? It could have been the coils settling against each other in on the perches. Did you lower it so much that the tie rods are hitting on something when settled?
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I had put very heavy run-flat pirelli's on my mk6 gti with high-offset wheels and I managed to wear down the steering rack sufficiently to have about 2-3" of play at the steering wheel. It was replaced under warranty, but mine is the only one I have seen a problem like that with... though... my GTI gets driven, well... aggressively.
          sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

So the noise came back - kinda comes and goes but is certainly not gone. Lifted it again and had my suspension guy check bolts for torque. All seem ok. Feels like the noise/snapping is coming from right inside the steering gear so shes going to VW to get looked at and hopefully fixed under warranty. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Took the car to 5th ave today - Garrett took care of me. Steering gear is getting replaced Friday as well as a trans. Side seal. Very strange noise but at least I'm not crazy.

Comment

Working...
              X