MKIV 1.8T Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV 1.8T Wheels

I'll soon be in the market for a new wheel and tire package for the GTI and I'm looking for some insight and suggestions. I'm still running the 17" OEM's as seen in my profile pic. Is there anything I should be aware of when picking out a set? I've been a big fan of the Axis Penta's for a while. It seems that 19x8.5 is the smallest size they have with a 5x100 bolt pattern. Will this size cause any problems? How about if I were to lower the car a little? Should I just stick to 18's? I don't want these things to look like they're overpowering the car.

Any other brand/model suggestions that look good on a black mkIV GTI?

Thanks!
    Sanity In Numbers

Re: MKIV 1.8T Wheels

19's will be alright, but you will need to roll your front fenders for sure, more-so if you lower it. You will have to run a low profile tire and in calgary, so run the risk of bending and breaking the rims right quick when you are running minimal rubber.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

19's+MKIV+slammed = no problems. A whole bunch of us were running 19's back in the day (mostly Axis). Run a 235/35/19 and you'll be fine.

Comment

I personally think 19's look to big on mkIV's, that's just my 2 cents. Get a nice staggered set of 18"'s and stretch some rubber on them.

Comment

On air 19's look alright, sometimes I even think my 18's look too big though. 17's or 18's look best usually IMO, but really it all depends on other features the car has. I've seen some pull off 19's extremely well, has to be slammed though
          Last edited by btimbit; 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM.
          '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
          '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
          '07 Ford F-150
          '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

I wish I had a picture somewhere of a friend of mine who had 20" wheels on his MKIV 2005 TDI golf.. Oddly enough.. it actually looked pretty good.
            sigpicMark Terrio-Cameron and Southland Volkswagen - Call (403) 581 6875 or PM me for a great deal on you're next VW

Comment

Basically look for a wheel that you like with an offset of 30-50ish, 5x100 bolt pattern and 57.1 centerbore.
              17s will look good with only a cupkit or anything lower
              18s need to be decently low on coilovers or lower to look good
              19s basically have to be on air or else the car looks out of place. A cupkit definitely would make the fitment look off

If you are looking for aftermarket wheels stick in the 8-9 width range in the front and 8-9.5 range in the rear and you will only need to roll your front fenders. Anything smaller and you won't be able to stretch tires and you will rub if you are super low. If you go wider then you may run into more fender work or severe rubbing.

Just some things to think about

Comment

18's fit MK4 the best IMO (hence being the GLI size). 20s look retarded.
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

19's fit fine and you do not need to be on air to pull them off, it all depends on the type of wheel. I have some axis milano in 19" you could try on if you wanted to ee for yourself. Hell if youblike them I would even sell them.
                  Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

I have 18's & 19's for my GLI... 19's are the nicest no question.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
                      19's fit fine and you do not need to be on air to pull them off
                      Pics for proof?? Myself i havent seen any 19" wheels being pulled off on a mk4 that wasn't super lowered

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                        Pics for proof?? Myself i havent seen any 19" wheels being pulled off on a mk4 that wasn't super lowered
                        Tons of examples my friend. All static.

vr6inaz's Jetta sitting on Leon Hardiritts:

this car has been around for ages...19" RH's

oh lawd:

Last edited by nismodrifter; 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Comment

I like 17s or 18s on a MK4 personally.

I don't mind seeing 19s but I don't like how small the profile of the tires is.

19s also suit Golfs much more than Jettas IMO.

Comment

^^^

Don't you see that every single car you posted is VERY LOW! Zero gap between tires and the fender, they are all at least tucking tire. So my statement still stands........

Comment

Working...
                              X