Diesel electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel electrical problems

Hello Eurodrivers! I have been lurking on here for a little while, thought I would finally chime in, and ask some advice. This will be a multi-problem electrical thread, but I'll only post 1 issue at a time until I sort them out.

1995 Golf IDI TD, 5 spd, A/C

1st problem: Tach

Starts at "0" like any other normal tach. Start the engine & it immediately pegs to 5500rpm (redline) and stays there no matter what speed or rpm I'm actually at. No flicker or flutter or any other noticable signs of problems. This of course leads to oil light/buzzer issues when idling due to the dynamic oil pressure system thinking the engine is at 5500rpm.

I can unplug the alternator when running & the tach drops to "0" again, oil light on of course. Swapped in another alternator with a W terminal, no change. Clutched pulley is good, belt tensioner is good. Charges at 13.75 volts. Checked for shorts to ground or power at the W terminal connector, good. Terminal tension is good. I still have to pull the cluster out & check continuity & resistance of the wire from the W terminal to the cluster.

Just looking for any preliminary thoughts, ideas or past experiences with a problem like this.

My odometer also gets wonky at times (digits disappear, total goes away & comes back) Related?

Re: Diesel electrical problems

First thing to check as always are for good grounds. Add more in to another spot if you think one is bad.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
    X