Paint the Long Beaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint the Long Beaches?

Recently smoked everything and got the dark FK projectors. Wondering if there's any opinion on painting my long beaches. Flat black? semi gloss? I'd love to get black rims with a polished lip but funds wont allow.

Black
    0%
    Gunmetal Grey
    0%
    Gold
    0%
    Pink
    0%

Re: Paint the Long Beaches?

I can have them sand blasted and powdercoated what ever color you want for $100ea + dismount and re-mount for $89.95
    Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

If your under a budget then you can do what i did. sand them down with a 400 grit paper and tape off the tires before you paint. I wouldn't do black only because it cheapens the overall look of the vehicle, but rather a dark metallic grey. I think it would be a better contrast to the colour of your car. Doing it this way is a bit of work but its the cheapest route. It should take about 2 hours to sand all four and another 30 mins of masking. Painting is the easiest part but you must wait a determined time in between coats and clear coating. This will be the lengthest part and could take a day including dry times, so be prepared not to drive the beast for a couple of days if you don't have another set of wheels to put on in the mean time. And for the paint to dry and cure properly, you will have to be in a 18-22 degree celsius enviroment. A heated garage would be ideal.
      TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
      PM me if you need one!!

Comment

I just put the steelies on today. Its snowing like a mutha in Sundre right now. Just thinking about next spring and summer. I have all winter to do something to them. Looking for opinions on color and such. By the way popp that film worked awesome. Tails look really good, did two layers on the fender markers to get them a little darker. I know I want the rims darker. Gunmetal or even a little lighter would look good too I agree.
        Last edited by CGDoig; 10-25-2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Here are min, I painted them with Canadian Tire wheel paint with clear coat as well. They are holding up well so far.

And here's a little trick instead of masking with tape.

Oh and the paint was only a few coats at the time the pictures were taken, they got nice and shiny after the third coat that was put on thicker.
          15 GTI
          65 Beetle
          87 BMW E30

Comment

Oh I didn't really care to sand the wheels down much even though they had quite a bit of curb rash, they are going to winters only anyways from now on. If the wheels are in good shape all that's needed is a good scrub down with a scotch brite pad and a good degreasing. The Canadian Tire wheel paint was dry to the touch in half an hour and I had bolted them back on an hour and a half after the last coat of clear coat went on.
            15 GTI
            65 Beetle
            87 BMW E30

Comment

^ Someone needs to get lips like that!
              Levi.W
              78 BMW 635CSi - Project
              91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

If you dont have a deck of cards, note cards/flip cards work quite well as well.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by vee_dubbin View Post
                  If your under a budget then you can do what i did. sand them down with a 400 grit paper and tape off the tires before you paint. I wouldn't do black only because it cheapens the overall look of the vehicle, but rather a dark metallic grey. I think it would be a better contrast to the colour of your car. Doing it this way is a bit of work but its the cheapest route. It should take about 2 hours to sand all four and another 30 mins of masking. Painting is the easiest part but you must wait a determined time in between coats and clear coating. This will be the lengthest part and could take a day including dry times, so be prepared not to drive the beast for a couple of days if you don't have another set of wheels to put on in the mean time. And for the paint to dry and cure properly, you will have to be in a 18-22 degree celsius enviroment. A heated garage would be ideal.
                  ^agreed, the only time i've seen black LBs pulled off was at Dasvolks in 2009, there was a black gti/golf with gloss black LBs and they looked amazing on the black car like that, however I think black will be too much of a contrast with the red and I agree it will make the car look cheap, if you want to go with something darker, duplicolors graphite might look fairly good, just make sure you do lots of coats and lots of clear as if the finish is too dull I find it looks cheap as well. But I look forward to see what you come up with! i've wanted to paint my LBs something different for a while now as a couple of them have some rash from the guy I bought them off of so they will eventually need a re coat.

Also if you ever decide you want to bring them back to factory color i think wurth has a pretty decent match with the OEM color, and a guy from CVD Msector9 (not sure if he is on here) might be able to hook you up with some wurth paint as it can be kind of hard to find (in my experience).

edit: also can I suggest 20mm spacers in the rear, 10mm in the front and a nice drop on the car, LBs look amazing with the right stance.
                  Last edited by J-hop; 10-25-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

So gunmetal hey, any other color choices I should consider? Gold maybe? like a darker gold?

Comment

here is a great thread to give you some ideas, that black gti I talked about is on the first page, and there is a pic of gold lbs on a white car on the third page (or maybe they are bronze I can't tell), enjoy!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ngbeach-thread.

Comment

or you could sell me your long beaches :P

Comment

Just please don't paint them like this

Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

That looks so good on that color though. Lol never thought id say camo looks good, that guy pulled it off.

Comment

the camo looks sick!

Comment

Working...
                              X