HID Bulbs and Kits interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Bulbs and Kits interchangable?

Trying to sell my HID kit but what I'm wondering now is if I just buy the bulbs to fit the same electrical leads will they work with the kit?

Re: HID Bulbs and Kits interchangable?

HID bulbs are driven off a high voltage ballast ie the box that comes with the lights. It would be fun to see what happens if you plug a normal 12 volt bulb into a HID ballast.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

lol thanks Brent, but I mean if I buy H7 HID bulbs from a different supplier will the work in the current ballast set up? But I fully agree, it would be fun to see what would happen, safety glasses required...
      Last edited by CGDoig; 10-23-2010, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I am kind of confused at the question but I believe the answer is yes? Are you looking for a different color temp or something? Also I know you are looking for a projector setup so before you buy different bulbs make sure the projector kit will accept the bulb type you have.

Comment

Most HID kits are interchangeable, I had one vehicle come in with not a single matching component but they all worked. Probably not the best idea but if you replace say bulbs in pair and they are same rating and connectors (no 55w ballast with 35w bulb for example) then you shouldn't have an issue.
          Tunerworks Performance Inc.
          Please email sales@tunerworks.com for pricing
          .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
          STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

I have an HID kit with bulb type A. I bought new headlights that accept bulb type B. I'm wondering if you can buy bulb type B from a different HID kit to fit the new headlights. Avoid buying a whole new HID kit.

Comment

Yes. Just try and get replacement bulbs from the same brand to ensure all connections have the right connectors.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

it worked. Looks wicked good. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X