Caliper Piston Compressing tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper Piston Compressing tool

I gotta change the rear pads on my MKV GTI this weekend. Anyone got a piston compressing tool I could borrow? Where do I get anti-squeal paste?

Also, I heard one should change their brake fluid at least every 2 years. Is that pretty easy to do? I bled the brake lines on my buddies old 1969 Triumph GT6. Same thing right? Drain the fluid from each bleed valve; Fill her up with new fluid; and bleed.

So, on my GTI, correct me if I'm wrong; I have to pump the brakes with the engine running, have keep the brake down, and bleed air from the lines, starting with the caliper thats' furthest from the master cylinder first?

I bought stock pads, is there any kind of procedure to "Bed-in" the new pads?

Re: Caliper Piston Compressing tool

whoa, not sure you should be draining the lines first before adding new fluid, that will introduce huge airpockets into the system which will make it harder to properly bleed the lines. I've never heard of draining the lines before, but I could be way out to lunch.

Few tips from when i've done other cars:

- car off!
    - don't ever push the brake pedal to the floor (on some cars will ruin the MC seals
    - use a pressure bleeder if possible (way more effective then the pump-open screw-close screw-release method)
    - bleed until you get fresh fluid coming out (pretty easy to tell if your fluid is old)
    - all systems are different, the old rule of start at the farthest away screw and work your way up does NOT work on most of the cars i've done, so read your manual first (may work on vws but i've never bled the system on mine before)
    - if you are going to do it the manual way you need two people, one person sits inside the car, applies pressure to the pedal, other person opens bleeder screw as the person inside presses the pedal down, person outside must be told to close the bleeder screw before the person inside releases the pedal or else you risk bringing air in

- you should have some sort of tubing connected to the bleeder screw to reduce the chance of an airpocket getting back into the caliper

- NEVER let the MC empty itself of fluid or you will have to start from scratch

added note for changing rear pads:
    - use a clean turkey baster to remove some of the fluid before you try to push the calipers in or you will overflow the MC
    - don't remove the rear carrier if you are doing the rotors at the same time, some DIYs say to do this but that is silly because you can easily slide the rotor out with the carrier in place
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

pm'd about tools.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I'm also looking to borrow Caliper Piston Compressing tool if anyone willing to lend me it? I'll be doing mine this Sunday
        Last edited by longsock; 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

J-Hop,
          Thanks for the info, looks like I need a turkey baster!

MoreSpeed,
          How abouts we do em together on Sunday. I only need to do the rear pads at the moment cause that's all I can afford. How much is Brake Fluid? Where's a cheap place for some? Do you know how to bleed the brakes? Send me a text if it's a plan. Jason 403.383.0664

I don't have a garage cause I'm a poor mofo with no family in Calgary. So, it's the Cul-de-sac for me i guess.

Comment

More Speed, I have the Caliper Piston Compressing tool. Your welcome to borrow it...
            Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
            2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
            2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
              More Speed, I have the Caliper Piston Compressing tool. Your welcome to borrow it...
              woohoo thanks man you have PM

Comment

Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN View Post
                J-Hop,

MoreSpeed,
                How abouts we do em together on Sunday. I only need to do the rear pads at the moment cause that's all I can afford. How much is Brake Fluid? Where's a cheap place for some? Do you know how to bleed the brakes? Send me a text if it's a plan. Jason 403.383.0664

I don't have a garage cause I'm a poor mofo with no family in Calgary. So, it's the Cul-de-sac for me i guess.
                You have PM

Comment

Don't know you if bought your rear pads already. I changed mine a few weeks back and I accidental ordered a extra set.
                  The pads are PBR Ceramic, part number: W0133-1622679 Bought from http://www.autopartsway.ca
                  Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                  2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                  2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN View Post
                    I gotta change the rear pads on my MKV GTI this weekend. Anyone got a piston compressing tool I could borrow? Where do I get anti-squeal paste?

Also, I heard one should change their brake fluid at least every 2 years. Is that pretty easy to do? I bled the brake lines on my buddies old 1969 Triumph GT6. Same thing right? Drain the fluid from each bleed valve; Fill her up with new fluid; and bleed.

So, on my GTI, correct me if I'm wrong; I have to pump the brakes with the engine running, have keep the brake down, and bleed air from the lines, starting with the caliper thats' furthest from the master cylinder first?

I bought stock pads, is there any kind of procedure to "Bed-in" the new pads?

Get it done? How did it go?
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

not sure how critical it is but on VW depending on the ABS system used, the bleed/flush method changes (the order of wheels).
                      put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a good DIY for brake job on a MK4 1.8t? Also, andy suggestions about where to get stock pads & rotors at a good price would be appreciated.

Andrew
                        www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by gaffer View Post
                          Does anyone have a link to a good DIY for brake job on a MK4 1.8t? Also, andy suggestions about where to get stock pads & rotors at a good price would be appreciated.

Andrew
                          PM'd

Comment

Originally posted by gaffer View Post

Andrew
                            shoot natty54 a pm he can probably get you a good price

Comment

It went well. I only did the rear brakes, and bled the system. It was all pretty easy.

Since I was doing the rear pads, I bled those lines first cause I had the wheel(s) off already.

The clutch shares the same reservior, so that got bled too. Peice of cake!

Comment

Working...
                              X