MKIV Headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV Headlights?

What projector type headlights should I look in to? Would anyone suggest the FK Projectors from concept 1? What are some other options. Looking for a dark look, planning on blacking things out.

Re: MKIV Headlights?

OEM HID replicas smoked.

The set of retrofits i could finish for a price.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I'm looking for non HID, I have one of the helios HID kits from concept1 in stock housings now, and it's too splashy and bright. I can't afford to buy another HID kit to go with the headlights. Really looking to get rid of the HID kit I have now and just go halogen projectors for the time being.

I think retrofits look the best IMO but I never see them for sale.
      Last edited by CGDoig; 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

For the right price, I'll finish my set and sell them, they come with hid's.

Otherwise, I think if you buy oem hid replicas you can probably just put halogen bulbs in there, if you get the right bulbs.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I just can't afford, or justify dropping 700+ on a set of headlights...

Comment

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
            I'm looking for non HID, I have one of the helios HID kits from concept1 in stock housings now, and it's too splashy and bright. I can't afford to buy another HID kit to go with the headlights. Really looking to get rid of the HID kit I have now and just go halogen projectors for the time being.

I think retrofits look the best IMO but I never see them for sale.

yea problem with stock housing is the scatter which is why it is to `splashy and bright`, it is actually pretty dangerous for on coming traffic.

I think when I priced it out you could do a full HID projector retrofit for under $500 from theretrofitsource.com.

Comment

I like my helix lights, smoked. The wiring is a bit of a mess and there are no adjustment knobs (so you have to level it while putting them in - ie, with no bumper).
              Attached Files
              Geoff
              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

get a set of the helix projectors from c-1 or look in the vortex classifieds.

and an hid set is only like $100 these days for an amazing one.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I have the FK headlights with HID's (high and low) and the factory leveling motors installed with euro switch, and rheostat. A huge improvement over the stock headlights. Integrated fog lights are handy. HID's in projectors are perfect, no scattering. Only problems with them is the back of the housing is bigger and the factory cover on the driver side does not fit/very tight. Also the rubber cover on the back of the housing can be difficult to reinstall especially on the driver side making light bulb changes difficult to do without removing the battery. Also the larger rubber cover was very close and partially blocking the intake tube from the air box that runs in the fender on my PD TDI and I ended up just removing it. Another thing with running HID's on the high and low beam is when switching between the too there is a few moments of darkness while the HID bulb warms up, I plan on rewiring so that both come on but not a big deal if the fog lights are on anyways. As for the price I spent about $400 on the housings another $400 on 2 HID kits and $300 for the leveling kit $50 on the euro switch so about $1150. I probably could have bought used OEM HID headlights for that price and I think they look better, but it would not have included the leveling kit or fog lights and I needed them right away. Any upgrade will probably be significantly better than the crappy stock headlights.
                  Last edited by shconer; 10-20-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
                    For the right price, I'll finish my set and sell them, they come with hid's.
                    how much you looking to get for them?
                    03 Jetta 24v GLI

Comment

OEM Hid Reps > FK

The Fk's look really cheap to me. Here's Colins car with FK's and with HID reps. Looks a lot cleaner with the HID reps IMO.

Last edited by VW337; 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM.
                      Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Those are good comparison pics, they do look a lot cleaner. I'll see what they carry at concept1.

Comment

You can also get the FK's in chrome.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I bought the fk's on black, I plan on smoking the car so black was a better option. We'll see how they look. My car is that burgundy red, tornado red I think it's called. I'm going to blacken my chrome bumper strips too I think.
                            Last edited by CGDoig; 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
                              I bought the fk's on black, I plan on smoking the car so black was a better option. We'll see how they look. My car is that burgundy red, tornado red I think it's called. I'm going to blacken my chrome bumper strips too I think.
                              keep an eye out for the plastic lens. when i had mine they had hairline cracks in them and from what I've seen, a lot of people have had the same problem. Doesn't affect the function but it will be ugly.
                              Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
                              2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

Working...
                              X