Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads

My stock break pads are getting a little thin and I am looking at replacing them. Always looking to to a little upgrade rather than just go with a stock replacement pad. Has anybody used the Akebono Ceramic brake pads? What are the performance differences between a ceramic pad and a stock pad. I am assuming that the stock pads are a semi metal pad? I am looking for something that will give me better breaking with the same brake dust level as a stock pad. I know that a lot of high end pads have a lot more dusty and some only work when heated up ie a race pad...not looking for this at all. The rest of my braking system is stock. Any thoughts?
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Re: Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads

youre likely going to want to look for a semi-metallic especially in the winter. ceramics are great, if you drive your car hard in the summer. But they dont stop well until you get heat in them, and its really hard to do that in -5 and below, they simply cool off too quickly and will a) not stop well, and b) squeal like crazy until they warm up.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

if you're looking for pad options, i have always been impressed with Hawk pads
      Team Highschool

Comment

I have seen a few cars that had the Hawk pads and they seem to have a lot of brake dust on the wheels....large negative for me. I was doing some online research on the ceramic pads....seems they have a few different compounds. Some like you say are not good for the cold weather street driving but they have some others they advise for "normal" driving but as a high performance pad compared to stock. There seems to be a lot of hype and not a lot of real data......
        2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
          if you're looking for pad options, i have always been impressed with Hawk pads
          x2

I recently put Hawk HPS pads on my GTI and haven't noticed a bad dust problem at all. They stop great and are quiet. Just bed them in right and all is good.
          John
          1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
          2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
            My stock break pads are getting a little thin and I am looking at replacing them. Always looking to to a little upgrade rather than just go with a stock replacement pad. Has anybody used the Akebono Ceramic brake pads? What are the performance differences between a ceramic pad and a stock pad. I am assuming that the stock pads are a semi metal pad? I am looking for something that will give me better breaking with the same brake dust level as a stock pad. I know that a lot of high end pads have a lot more dusty and some only work when heated up ie a race pad...not looking for this at all. The rest of my braking system is stock. Any thoughts?
            Akebono is a great pad so is Textar.(Less dust also)

Comment

Ive been using Pagid, and I'm not that impressed, yes they stop well, very well, but they squeal constantly until warm and make it embarrassing for rush hour, they also seem to have a lot of brake dust, maybe thats just because i have mesh-ish wheels.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

hawk has 3 or 4 compounds. their higher end ones that are more performance based will obviously put out more dust.
                i ran their HPS ones without much dust and they were good enough in cold weather
                Team Highschool

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                  x2

I recently put Hawk HPS pads on my GTI and haven't noticed a bad dust problem at all. They stop great and are quiet. Just bed them in right and all is good.

x3. Hawk HPS pads here too. Work great.
                  Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                  X