Misfiring 2.0 ABA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfiring 2.0 ABA

Hello! I was pointed this way recently by a helpful guy at Pick'n'Pull as somewhere I might get some good help with my problem VW.

The car: I inherited a project MkII Golf with a 2.0 ABA swap from a MkIII. It's a bit of a basket case, but the list of major flaws is growing shorter.

It has always had a lack of power after it gets nicely warmed up (goes like hell when it's on its way there, though), but that seemed to be getting worse in recent history. That problem was superceded by a dying clutch and a grinding transmission, however, and I those problems have recently been fixed.

The problem: After the new clutch and transmission the engine developed a stutter or misfire from idle up to about 3000rpm. I thought that an odd thing to develop after messing with the transmission, so I checked all the grounds and electronics that might have been disturbed but the operation. They were all good.

I got an OBD reader to help diagnose, and sure enough it's throwing 00515 (hall sensor open or short to plus) and 01257 (idle speed stabilization valve open or short to ground). The idle speed doesn't seem like a concern since my idle is good enough at 1100rpm or so, but it might be connected to the larger poor running issue.

I pulled the distributor and replaced it with a junkyard piece to see about that hall sensor, and though it didn't throw the code at first it still ran rough, eventually giving up the code again. Without the hall sensor plugged in there is no error code. I'm getting 5v across the outside terminals of the connector, as per spec.

I think either the replacement dizzy also has a bad hall sensor, or there's a wiring problem elsewhere. I'll look into those further, but is there anything else I should be checking in the meantime?

Re: Misfiring 2.0 ABA

Your goin to get some good answers on here but I would check out dasdubbers as well as they have a larger mk2 gang.

Cheers and good luck!

Oh and welcome! Post some pictures of your ride!
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Here we are in the Trail of the Gnu TSD rally this year. Fun!
      Attached Files

Comment

Just checked the hall sender from the middle wire with the engine running, and my LED test light blinks as it should (as described in my manual). +5v and -5v on the outside wires, middle wire is blinking as it should, I'm thinking my ECU might be at fault, or possibly a broken wire between the two.

or... after some more research ("camshaft position sensor" turns up much more than "hall sensor") it seems my timing might have slipped. I'll check that out.
        Last edited by tenthousandfeet; 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

It's fixed! I was fairly certain I'd be replacing my timing belt, but decided to check the condition of the wires with my multimeter before tearing my crank pulley off. I disconnected the big round engine harness connector and the ECU connector and got normal results (thus confirming the timing belt theory). I fired up the engine anyway, for no real reason, and it ran fine! Runs awesome, 00515 code is gone (replaced with an evap charcoal canister code, no biggie). I guess one of the connectors was dirty or not seated properly, which also explains the new code.

Comment

It would be best to look for corrosion along the pins of the connectors, a little emery cloth can clean them up. Glad to hear you have it fixed though.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i had the same problem on my 1.8/td combo motor. i will have to check into the main harness as well

Comment

Working...
              X