Evolution Skid Plate Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Skid Plate Install

Finally got around to installing my Evolution Skid Plate today. Followed the instructions from the Evolution site and it all went smoothly. Looks a 100X better than my broken plastic stock unit. Overall a worthy mod.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Re: Evolution Skid Plate Install

we just installed one on my car too, had to do a bit of modding with the air grinder lol
    Kim

Comment

What did you have to grind?
      2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

I ended up welding my riv nuts as they came loose after a couple years but all in all a great mod.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

the blue parts that go on the side, the one wouldnt fit cause of my intercooler pipe
          Kim

Comment

I was kind of surprised by the wimpy little pipe from the inter cooler to the turbo....I would have thought that it would have been about twice as large.
            2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
              I was kind of surprised by the wimpy little pipe from the inter cooler to the turbo....I would have thought that it would have been about twice as large.
              Its a tdi not like you have any power anyways.

Unless you happen to do crazy things like me
              Last edited by dJ; 07-26-2010, 11:31 PM.
              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
              Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                Not much force is transferred upwards at the front points. Due to that area being higher and farther forward then the rear mounting points any impact is transferred right to those solid subframe mount. Unless you are Stefan though as he still managed to crack a oil pan :P
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I have it installed too and it has probably paid for itself a few times over now by saving my oil pan.
                  Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
                  Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
                  Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

Ima get George at TuneDub to put mine on at my next oil change...just to save any confusion. 2005 TDI, and I have a shop at my disposal where I work, but don't want to have to deal with the unexpected!
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                      I ended up welding my riv nuts as they came loose after a couple years but all in all a great mod.
                      this is a good point, I actually wrecked a rivet nut when I first installed mine because I torqued it down to spec and it still spun in the hole easily so I tried putting a few extra ftlbs of torque on it to get it tight and I ended up shearing the rivet nut, i've read a lot of guys having problems removing their skid plates after a few years as the rivet nuts start to spin,throwing a quick weld on it when you first install would save a lot of headache later on I think

Comment

they officially have gone under now . thats too bad there plates were nicer than diesel geeks www.evolutionmsport.com
                        Last edited by turbomeyers; 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

damn where am I going to get new rivnuts from :(
                          Edit:
                          Wrong link http://www.evolutionimport.com as far as their website sais they are still in business.
                          Last edited by Stonewall; 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

is there affiliation between evolution motorsport and evolution import skid plates?
                            Stefan
                            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

nope, it's stated at the bottom of Chris's link in red.
                              Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                              hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X