Max Wheel size/offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Wheel size/offset

Hey guys i'm looking at my first upgrade for my golf and am in need of some info.
    I was told that i couldn't go any bigger than a 19" rim but i have been looking on some web sites and have seen 20" 5x112 so i would asume that i can put 20's on as lond as i gowith an ultra low profile tire right?
    one last qestion......
    how do i know what offset to choose? the only options for the wheels i have been looking at are either a 32mm or 45mm in the 18's or 35mm in the 20's
    The Car is a 2010 Golf
    Thanks for any help you can offer
    Lay down with the Devil your gonna wind up in hell
    http://vinylsolutions.ca/

Re: Max Wheel size/offset

You can fit 20's if you get a wheel no bigger than 8.5 wide (8.0 is better on a 20" though harder to find) with an offset ET45 or higher. You could maybe get away with a bit lower offset if you are prepapred to do some massaging. The tire size you will prolly end up with is a 225/30R20...

That being said, most people don't do 20's on these cars because 19's will just fit and drive a whole helluva lot better, and are still pretty damn low profile with a 225/35R19. Personally, I wouldn't go bigger than 19's on a Golf. Just too small a car for such a big wheel IMHO...

The choice is yours however, and until someone else is paying your bills they don't have much to say other than an opinion, and I am sure you will get a few those...
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM.
    sigpic
    Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
    Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
    Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
    888.769.1772 Toll Free
    403.769.1771 tel
    403.769.1773 fax
    bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Well you have many options and several things to think about when going this route. You can fit 17, 18, 19, & 20s on a MK6. Are you planning to lower your car at some point as that makes width, offset and tire size more important then if you are not.

I have a 2010 GTI and I am running 19x8.5s with a 45 offset, 225/35/19 tires and coilovers eliminating most of the wheel gap.

20s will work with 225/30/20s but you are pushing the limits and will have to be very careful about the roads as not too bend the wheels.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

so what do they mean when they are talking about a 35mm or a 45mm offset?
        and from what i am reading so far an 18 or 19" wheel should be more than enough cause i would like to lower the car down the road, as well in Medicine Hat the roads aren't all that great. Not to mention i do a not of hiway driving to hinton,Ab and back for work

Comment

Offset is the distance from the center of the wheel to where the wheel mounts to the hub.

Thus changing the offset can either push the wheel to the inside of the car, or out past the fender. The stock offset on your car is near 50ish so you want to stay around the 45 mark depending on width, 35 is possible but could get close to rubbing on the fronts depending on all the factors.

19s or 18s with either 8 or 8.5" widths and offsets around 45 will work no problem for you.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

20's on a golf= lol
            "If it has tits or wheels it will give you trouble"

-97 Golf
            -91 GTI

Comment

thanks for the info Blair and tirebob! i've decided to go with 18's. pretty sure i have found what i want too!
              well narrowed done to one of 3...hahaha
              Attached Files
              Last edited by postalray; 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by postalray View Post
                thanks for the info Blair and tirebob! i've decided to go with 18's. pretty sure i have found what i want too!
                well narrowed done to one of 3...hahaha
                ew
                i dont like any of the 3
                two tone wheels arnt my favorite
                id stick with one color wheels...
                what color is the car?
                orange? like your avatar?
                Last edited by T-Dubbs; 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM.
                ~~TODD~~
                '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

I would get 19's and find a photo / photoshop of the wheels you want on a Mk6 Golf before you buy, just to be really sure its the look you want
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

How much does changing the offset affect steering and suspension geometry with these cars? Anything to be concerned about?
                    In my youth I considered myself a perfectionist. With age I've found that nothing is perfect, I'm just anal.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dubbs View Post
                      ew
                      i dont like any of the 3
                      two tone wheels arnt my favorite
                      id stick with one color wheels...
                      what color is the car?
                      orange? like your avatar?
                      No it's not Orange (yet) like my avatar. It's Grey
                      If anyone has any wheel suggestions on wheels please feel free to post them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by postalray View Post
                        No it's not Orange (yet) like my avatar. It's Grey
                        If anyone has any wheel suggestions on wheels please feel free to post them.
                        If it is the 5 spoke look you dig, these in matt black look very nice... They are also available in black/machined. Very clean, simple wheel. 19x8.5 5-112 ET45 which is a perfect MKVI fitment. Can do a great deal on either of these!

Your going to find people are very opinionated on the wheels you want to put on "YOUR" car, but do not try and impress anyone but yourself because as we know, opinions are like @$$holes... we all have 'em! Sure it is nice to see what other people like, but just like clothes, cars, girls or whatever... We all have our preferences and there is nothing wrong with that at all! You only have yourself to make happy. If you do happen to like other styles as well, there are many, many choices to consider for sure!
                        sigpic
                        Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
                        Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
                        Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
                        888.769.1772 Toll Free
                        403.769.1771 tel
                        403.769.1773 fax
                        bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

hey those aren't bad at all i really like them to be honest. can you pm me about them please!

Comment

Bob will take care of you Ray!

There is also some 18" Miro's in the classifieds too that would work.
                            Blair

Comment

(Y)

FOR SALE THREAD http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=19735
                              these also!
                              Last edited by T-Dubbs; 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM.
                              ~~TODD~~
                              '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Working...
                              X