Upper Strut Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Strut Mounts

Hi, so my upper strut mounts are worn and making noise so they will be replaced soon. I may do it myself (sucker for punishment?). My question is if the front suspension is coming apart is there anything else to refresh while in there? (Edit: car is a mk4 GTI)
    Last edited by JPO; 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Upper Strut Mounts

i just replaced the mounts and bearings on my mk4 jetta. I have GLI suspension (little shorter than stock) and was able to do it without undoing the bottom of the strut. I took off the fender liners and compressed the springs and there was enough room to remove the old and insert the new by just undoing the tops.

If you take the strut right out, the bolt at the bottom is supposed to me replaced. Its a stretch bolt.

If you need the strut wrench to undo the tops, I have that, and the spreader tool for the bottom (if you end up having to take them completely out)

** my bearings were toast... little rusted balls everywhere!
    Last edited by stefan; 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
      i just replaced the mounts and bearings on my mk4 jetta. I have GLI suspension (little shorter than stock) and was able to do it without undoing the bottom of the strut. I took off the fender liners and compressed the springs and there was enough room to remove the old and insert the new by just undoing the tops.

If you take the strut right out, the bolt at the bottom is supposed to me replaced. Its a stretch bolt.

If you need the strut wrench to undo the tops, I have that, and the spreader tool for the bottom (if you end up having to take them completely out)

Hi, where did you get the mounts/bearings from and how much? As I have a GTI you'd think I would also be able to get it done without taking the whole thing out. Thanks for the tip.
      John

Comment

I got Bilstein mount/bearings from Tundub. I think they were 25$/side. I think you can maybe find them cheaper though.

I'd get the tools ready to remove the strut, just in case. But really, it went pretty smooth for me. One mount was siezed to the top of the strut, but I just released the spring compressors a bit and hit with a rubber mallot and it eventually popped off. The other side went really quick.

I think the GTIs sit lower too, so you probably have the same advantage of shorter springs and more room.
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I have the top strut tools and a spring compressor if you need to borrow them.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the tools, I have everything i'll need (well, technically my neighbour has everything i'll need). Napa has the mount/bearing kit for $24 per side.
            John

Comment

LOL.....too easy. Won't do it.
              TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
              PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Natty please go away or follow the advice given to you in the other thread.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

So I replaced the mounts this AM; drivers side super easy, passenger side not so much. It would seem the strut on the passenger side is so f@cked it dropped right down inside the spring causing top perch and aluminum spacer to fall out. So I guess I am riding around on springs only and it is likely just luck that the drivers side strut didn't do the same? Ahh seven year old car, you are so predictable. Fix one bit, find three more that are broke..

Funny thing is the car isn't bouncy at all and handles pretty well. Soooooo, coils then i guess?
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                    So I replaced the mounts this AM; drivers side super easy, passenger side not so much. It would seem the strut on the passenger side is so f@cked it dropped right down inside the spring causing top perch and aluminum spacer to fall out. So I guess I am riding around on springs only and it is likely just luck that the drivers side strut didn't do the same? Ahh seven year old car, you are so predictable. Fix one bit, find three more that are broke..

Funny thing is the car isn't bouncy at all and handles pretty well. Soooooo, coils then i guess?
                    the struts aren't really sprung. If you push them in to the spring and they will stay there. Doesn't mean they are f'd, just means you will have to work it back up so that you can get the nut on again. That is, if I understand what you are saying.....
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

the struts aren't really sprung. If you push them in to the spring and they will stay there. Doesn't mean they are f'd, just means you will have to work it back up so that you can get the nut on again. That is, if I understand what you are saying.....
                      Yes, when we undid the last top nut the strut shaft just went down around 3" or so. I was able to pull it back up without any tools and got the bearings etc assembled on the top and moved the strut shaft back up enough to get the top nut on. I figure if i could reach in and move the thing up it must be pretty pooched. Not so?
                      Last edited by JPO; 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM.
                      John

Comment

i could move mine with hands. They don't hold weight, they just dampen. You can compress a brand new strut by hand. If they aren't leaking, and your car doesnt bounce and skip like a mofo, they are probably still ok.
                        Stefan
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                        X