new transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new transmission?

So my tiptronic gti 02 needs the transmission rebuilt. The transmission shop is quoting me $5700 CAD for parts and labor that seems way to expensive for me since I can probably get a whole new transmission for ~3k-4K?

The shop also told me they would no be replacing the hard parts of the transmission but all the soft ones(clutches, etc)

Any good place where I can buy all the pieces for a transmission overhaul myself and the just pay for labor?Is it worth getting a new transmission?

I would appreciate any comments to help me make the right decision.
    Last edited by stbgz; 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM.

Re: new transmission?

Your car is likely not worth much more then $6-7k so that would be a big hit. Check some of the wreckers as that is likely your best bet.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

How come you need it rebuilt? Maybe you just need Solenoids replaced. Is there shifting issues?

Comment

what exactly is happening when your driving. was a line pressure test preformed before these guys told you that it needs to be r&r'ed

Comment

yeah the codes tell me there is solenoid malfunction, I don't know if they did a line pressure test I'll ask about that

Every time I shift that car jerks and it is a hard shift, some times the gear slips and the car revs up before the gear engages. I am thinking it might be the gear valve.

By reading around other forums it seems like the transmissions in VW SUCK!!! my car just over 100.00K Anybody else had issues with the transmission? whats the average cost for rebuilding?

Comment

Check this page and it might give you an idea about if a solenoid needs replacing. This happened to my buddies 02 GTI the other day and I found this while researching.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3469274

for part numbers:
            For 2002 VW made in Mexico with 5 speed auto transmissions EYP, EEF, ELD,
            GPC, EYN, and GNZ:
            09A 325 039 H - Valve Body applies to EYP, GNZ, EEF
            09A 325 039 J - Valve Body applies to GPC, ELD, EYN

Valves fit both bodies:
            09A 927 331 - Solenoid valve N89 (brawn)
            09A 927 331 A - Solenoid valve N92 (green)
            09A 927 331 B - Solenoid valve N88 (brawn)
            09A 927 331 C - Solenoid valve N90 (black )
            09A 927 331 D - Solenoid valve N282 (black )
            09A 927 331 E - Solenoid valve N91 (black )
            09A 927 331 F - Solenoid valve N283 (white)
            09A 927 331 G - Solenoid valve N281 (white)
            09A 927 331 H - Solenoid valve N93 (green )

Comment

Working...
            X