Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK4 EPC light

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 2.0L Jetta and today while driving in first gear I felt the power cut out; it felt like when you go hard off the lights in first gear, then you hit a puddle and you hydroplane, the car sort of looses all of its momentum, only it was dry out and my rev's didn't build up. I switched into second gear and kept driving and everything seemed to be fine. A few minutes later I noticed that my EPC light was on. I pulled over and shut the engine down and started up again and now my check engine light is on as well.

Anyone have any idea's as to what the problem may be? Any suggestions as to what to try? As i take my car to George and he's closed I'll have to wait until monday to talk with him. Is it a bad idea to still drive the car?

Thanks for anything you guys may have for me.

Re: MK4 EPC light

Do you by chance have a CAI? running a CAI in this weather is a disaster waiting to happen. could be your maf saying goodbye.

pull the code though and post what you get (a basic scanner will probably do)
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I do have a CAI and I was really worried about the rain. I don't have a code reader so I don't think I will be able to do that. How bad is it to drive with a non-functioning MAF?

Comment

$20 could have prevented this: http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...248#post184248

After 2 days of rain my P-flo has had beads of water all over it. Pulled off the pre-filter this afternoon after seeing this thread and the filter was dry as can be. What's the cost of a new MAF these days?
        Last edited by darkmanCANADA; 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM. Reason: missing words
        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on that dude. As for the cost of a new MAF...I guess I can let you know by monday when I get mine done.
          I was reading the post you wrote on that other thread...I have a short ram intake too and I didn't think that it would get wet either. The thing that I don't understand is that last night while driving, I pulled over in an underground parkade to check my filter and it was dry..that's why I don't get how my MAF got messed up.. I'm going to order one of those pre filters anyways. Do you keep yours on all year long or just when it's wet outside?

Comment

If you want a scan swing by today i'am open 10-3pm

Comment

see for someone near you

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10983
              Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
              Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
              "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

Originally posted by thegooddie View Post
                Thanks for the heads up on that dude. As for the cost of a new MAF...I guess I can let you know by monday when I get mine done.
                I was reading the post you wrote on that other thread...I have a short ram intake too and I didn't think that it would get wet either. The thing that I don't understand is that last night while driving, I pulled over in an underground parkade to check my filter and it was dry..that's why I don't get how my MAF got messed up.. I'm going to order one of those pre filters anyways. Do you keep yours on all year long or just when it's wet outside?
                If you have the Neuspeed P-flo short ram (1.8T) the part number from Outerwears is

10-1598 regular
                20-1598 water repellent

I use the water repellent one all year round and don't notice any difference.

FYI the Neuspeed filter is the same as the K&N part number RU-1520 if you ever need to replace it.
                2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
                  If you have the Neuspeed P-flo short ram (1.8T) the part number from Outerwears is

10-1598 regular
                  20-1598 water repellent

I use the water repellent one all year round and don't notice any difference.

FYI the Neuspeed filter is the same as the K&N part number RU-1520 if you ever need to replace it.
                  My intake is one that I pretty much made myself with a filter from Canadian Tire..could that even be part of the reason that I would have problems like this? I'm going to order http://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3554

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
                    If you want a scan swing by today i'am open 10-3pm
                    Thanks for the offer, I live kind of far from you though. I appreciate the heads up though.

Comment

I just cleaned my MAF this afternoon with CRC SensorKleen - $9 at NAPA. Seems to work pretty well. The car was a just a bit fussy and not running super smooth and seems much better now. Fast and easy way to get that new MAF feeling.
                      John
                      1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                      2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                        I just cleaned my MAF this afternoon with CRC SensorKleen - $9 at NAPA. Seems to work pretty well. The car was a just a bit fussy and not running super smooth and seems much better now. Fast and easy way to get that new MAF feeling.
                        How would I go about cleaning it?

I also called all 3 VW dealers in Calgary and they all said a different thing about what the problem could me (which is fair because they didn't do a code scan) but they all said that as long as the light is not flashing it should be okay to drive the car...Any words of wisdom from you guys? I work as a delivery driver so I kind of really need to be able to drive and the earliest any of them are booking for is mid next week. Thanks again for all your helps

Comment

Originally posted by thegooddie View Post
                          How would I go about cleaning it?

I also called all 3 VW dealers in Calgary and they all said a different thing about what the problem could me (which is fair because they didn't do a code scan) but they all said that as long as the light is not flashing it should be okay to drive the car...Any words of wisdom from you guys? I work as a delivery driver so I kind of really need to be able to drive and the earliest any of them are booking for is mid next week. Thanks again for all your helps
                          It is very easy to clean. Basically take the MAF off the car, spray this stuff on, let dry, put back on. 20 mins round trip.

IF it is your MAF and it is running crappy and needs to be replaced, just disconnect it until you can have it replaced. The car will run sub-optimally but will be perfectly usable.
                          John
                          1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                          2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ208152919
                            Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
                            Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
                            "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                              It is very easy to clean. Basically take the MAF off the car, spray this stuff on, let dry, put back on. 20 mins round trip.

IF it is your MAF and it is running crappy and needs to be replaced, just disconnect it until you can have it replaced. The car will run sub-optimally but will be perfectly usable.

just make extra sure you don't attempt to touch the element at all. i've heard of guys attempting to use q-tips to clean them

Comment

Working...
                              X