No announcement yet.

Coilovers Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive done mine a few times, it's really easy, and doesnt take much time. plus that kinda stuff is fun anyway

Present
    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
    2003 VW Jetta GLI
    1992 VW Jetta GL
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by 1.8Trip
      Well, it's been almost a week since the install and I feel that things have settled pretty much as far as they are gonna go. I've noticed that the drivers side is lower than the passenger side by almost a quarter inch. Maybe this is why my steering wheel is off center? Some of you have also noticed that my back appears to be more slammed than the front.

Anyway, I tried raising the rear and driver's side a bit and boy is it a ***** w/o a hoist. You gotta keep raising it, take the wheel off, adjust, put the wheel back on, lower, check height, go for a ride, check height again, damn they are all different. The back wheels I can do without taking the wheel off, but my issue is this: When I change the height on one corner, all of the other corners change too.

Does anyone know a good way to do this (assuming all the corners were at different heights to begin with)?

By the way, I do notice a slight difference in handling from even the small modifications that I am doing. I think the weight distribution is changing (kinda like cutting the legs of a chair so they are all different) and it really becomes noticeable when cornering.
      In the real world. A street car with coilovers will never get corner balanced. Simply because you will have passengers in the car and also of a simple weight change/shift will not get balanced out anyway. The theory is different on a racecar that the car is exclusively use by one racer in the team. Therefore, the weight change is not a concern because when they calculate the corner balance the driver¡¦s weight will apply to the formula and a controlled environment.

If the look of the car is important to you then go for it because you put together for the purpose of the look. How juicy the car look does not justify how well the car will handle. Which means, with the best components but wrong setup the car will still handles like crap or unpredictable.
      “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

looks good!!!

Comment

Thanks Tim.
          Neil
          '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

hey Neil whats the problem? when I had the coilovers on my bug it was fine. I think c1 should have put them on and adjusted them right the first time? Just make sure they tighten all the bolts. I can of had a problem with that the first time. Rabbit

Comment

I don't think it's a problem as much as it is fine tune adjusting. I got the car level now, but I'm realising that there is a lot more to this than having a vehicle sitting high or low. Adjusting one coil affects all of the others and now I see why in the racing world suspension takes up a whole lot of energy in racing development. A new found respect.

No worries. All is good and I am learning about my car.
              Neil
              '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Working...
              X