X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mk4 hatch lock issues

hi all,

My rear hatch won't lock anymore.

It latches fine, but you don't hear the lock engage once it's closed. the alarm arms, but i can open the hatch and set the alarm off. When the hatch is open, the open hatch light comes on on the dash and when i close it the light goes off.. When i try to unlock the hatch with the remote or the switch in the driver's door i can hear the relays clicking and the lights flash, but nothing happens.

I've tried replacing the latch and it still does the same thing. I got a new microswitch but for the life of me i can't figure out how to get the old one out. i've taken the 3 torx bolts out that look like they hold the handle and lock cylinder to the hatch, but i can't get that panel out for the life of me.

Can anyone help?
    Tim
    "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Re: mk4 hatch lock issues

Does it lock after about 10 minutes or so? Mine does the same thing and I think it is the micro switch or the contacts on it. I just haven't got around to fixing the contacts. I think to remove the switch you have to drill out the rivits that bolt it together and maybe replace them with bolts afterwards. I think it is doable rather then buy a new one though.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

No, it just plain doesn't lock. My guess is either the microswitch or the actuator.

The only way that i can figure out how to remove the microswitch is to remove the lock cylinder or take the whole part that holds the lock cylinder and handle.
      Tim
      "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

This happened to me, I just squirted some WD40 in to solve the problem.
        Nick
        There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

into the lock cylinder?
          Tim

Comment

What was happening to me, was that I could close the hatch, arm the alarm, but it would never open, only its weight was holding it down, so a slight tug on the handle or anything would open it up. I basically WD40'd the entire thing, into the cylinder, as well as into the latch. I can't say which actually did anything. The cylinder part came from me having this feeling in my mind that it used to be easier to turn the key.
            Nick
            There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X