Correct touch up paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct touch up paint?

The paint code in my trunk is la7w which is reflex silver. The touch up pen o just bought from vw says 108594/lsta7w reflex silver metallic. I have just started to apply it and it looks much darker with a bluey tint. Have I got the wrong paint or does it just not match up that well?
    sigpic

Re: Correct touch up paint?

the pens aren't that great. just the fact that the fleck in the paint isn't applied the same as a spray will make the colour look a lot different.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

FWIW there are 7 shades of reflex silver too.. have fun with that one

on my old jetta i had the front bumper resprayed 4 times and twice it didn't match and got another spray done for free

Comment

With my vin could vw get the right shade?
        sigpic

Comment

they should be able to but most body shops will spray a test piece and hold it up to your car to see if it matches and go from there

Comment

I got a touch up paint for the stone chips on my front hood. Its a lot darker too. My hood looks spotty now.
            Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
            2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
            2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

you wont get a perfect match unless its sprayed, even if it's the perfect colour, but you should get close.
              Make sure you get the clear pen, as this will also effect the colour as well, and obviously shake the bejesus out of the pen. Should be a bead in it, make sure it breaks loose. The metalic fleck is a killer to brush though. Will always look darker blotted on than sprayed.
              Last edited by stefan; 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM.
              Stefan
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

How about straight black, I have a nice fine scratch along the edge of my bumper.

Music to permeate your soul …
                Jayson
                MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

black is black... cdn tire brand should be fine. it will fade if you don't put clear on top though.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Good deal, I figured that's what the previous owner did to a section of one bumpstrip. Thanks Stefan.

Music to permeate your soul …
                    Jayson
                    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

Yes, a dealer can pull your paint code from your VIN. Even when I went in to Fifth Ave with my paint code from the sticker, they double checked for me, which I appreciated.

And yes, my pens have the extra "st" in the middle of the paint code.

Note that VW does offer spray cans of your paint and the clear coat. They come in pairs and are about $16 for the two cans. (That's cheaper than aftermarket at Canadian Tire). They have to be special ordered, but only take a few days.

Comment

Working...
                      X