Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 GTi DSG...best mods?

New to VW's.
    My lil' sister just picked up a new GTi. So far, I've decided to help her 3M the entire front end, tint, HID the foglights, and possibly a stage1 APR chip.

Without wanting to do much research, what are best mods for the 2.0T? Possibly an intake, diverter valve, etc?

Thanks

Re: 2009 GTi DSG...best mods?

"Lower It"...lol
    Cheers,

sigpic

Drives '08 3Dr Bwack Bunny Mods: Eibach Sportlines, Smoked side markers, Smoked mirror signals, 18x8.5 Merc S-Class Shoes, InPro tinted tails, Stubby sharan antenna and Debadged.

Comment

Upgraded software will provide the best bang for the buck in terms of performance. This mod alone will make a big difference.

You should look into Unitronic software. I have been hearing really good things about them and they are probably the most popular brand right now.

If you decide to upgrade the software, you should also look into upgrading the stock DV.

If you want to go further, you can also look into upgrading the downpipe and catback along with an intake (upgraded drop-in filter is all you really need though)

Oh yeah, make sure suspension is on your list of things to do.

Good Luck

I get all of my VW tuning stuff through Alex.
      Tint sucks

Comment

Unitronic doesn't seem to have anything for the 2.0T on the site at the moment. There is some deal going on for the APR chip right now for half price.
        What is a good brand to go with for the DV? I will most likely be doing a K&N or BMC drop in when I do the chip.
        Trying to keep stock looking as possible for warranty purposes. When it comes time to lower, I'm thinking Pss10's just because that's what I'm running in my car.

Thanks for the replies, keep em' coming.

Comment

Uni does offer 2.0T, 2.5L, and TDI software.

On a 2.0T
          Stock Output : 200hp/207lb-ft
          Unitronic Output - Stage 1: 245hp/277lb-ft
          Unitronic Output - Stage 1+: 250hp/292lb-ft

Most of the big tuners such as Revo, GIAC, APR and Uni will have similar performance numbers.

As for the DV, you can't go wrong with Forge.
          Tint sucks

Comment

I would only get software and I would of course lower it.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I 100% agree with the computer re-flash. Best bang for the buck for sure. Cosmetically though, a buddy of mine painted the lower portions of the GTI to colour match the rest of the paint, and it looked 100 times better. Why didn't VW do that from the factory...
              TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
              PM me if you need one!!

Comment

it's an automatic though.. dont foget the TIP chip...

chipping auto's is hard on the tranny... atleast in the b5 world... keep that in mind or atleast look into it
                Nick
                1999.5 A4Q 1.8T
                Mods: GIAC chip, 710N, Testpipe, K&N, A8 OE big brake upgrade, H-Sport F/R Sway Bars (FTW)
                Maintenance: TB, WP, CV Joint, TRE, Wheel Bearing, Flex Pipe, Windshield, n75, G66, Valve Cover Gasket
                Wishlist: RS4 Reps, AWE DTS and mounts

Comment

Dub, thanks for the info! Have you heard of any of them being slightly better than the others or is it up to personal preference?

The car definitely needs to be lowered. Good point about the lower black trim too, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Originally posted by Turbo_NV View Post
                  it's an automatic though.. dont foget the TIP chip...

chipping auto's is hard on the tranny... atleast in the b5 world... keep that in mind or atleast look into it
                  Hehe It's technically not an auto, no torque converters. I would have thought the DSG should be able to handle it since the car is FWD. What's the TIP chip? Is it a separate upgrade?

Comment

Welcome to the world of no powertrain warranty.

Comment

changes shift points...may even speed them up but i dont know for sure about that
                      Nick
                      1999.5 A4Q 1.8T
                      Mods: GIAC chip, 710N, Testpipe, K&N, A8 OE big brake upgrade, H-Sport F/R Sway Bars (FTW)
                      Maintenance: TB, WP, CV Joint, TRE, Wheel Bearing, Flex Pipe, Windshield, n75, G66, Valve Cover Gasket
                      Wishlist: RS4 Reps, AWE DTS and mounts

Comment

A chip would be the best mod for your dollar. On my GTI, I went with a Unitronic Stage 1 reflash first. Later on, I got an R32 style turboback exhaust, APR fuel pump (your car has a TSI engine so it doesn't need this), and the Unitronic Stage 2+ flash (Stage 2 for TSI).

I would get the car chipped, lowered, and I'd change the orange sidemarkers to a color that better suits the car.
                        DJ Noble / Volkswagen Sales Consultant
                        Norden Autohaus / Edmonton, AB
                        (tf) 1.800.661.9645 (l) 1.780.484.3000
                        (e) dnoble[at]nordenautohaus[.com]
                        Check out my blog: http://djnoble.wordpress.com

Comment

DSG is only rated for 258ft-lbs but there are many chipped ones that have no problems on vwvortex.

You can do the Free APR trial and see how you like it. Lasts for 6 hours of driving time. Give the 93 program a try if you decide to go for it.

As far as lowering the car I would leave it stock height or maybe just lower it an inch or so. I had mine lowered 2" and honestly I don't miss it as the car drives a lot better now that it's back to stock height. However it looks nasty with all that gap...

Comment

A Stage 1 flash will put you well past the DSG's rated torque limit, but nobody has really broken the tranny with even Stage 3 BT tunes; VAG tends to underrate the power capacities of their trannies. If you plan on going past Stage 2+ (e.g. K04, BT), the HPA DSG flash would be something to consider.

The stock ride height is good for the winter but I find that it is too prone to body roll. Lowering it by 2" makes the car look the best IMO and will help it handle and corner better especially when paired with a good rear sway bar, but you could always just lower it by 1.5" or so.
                            Last edited by twisted by dezign; 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM.
                            DJ Noble / Volkswagen Sales Consultant
                            Norden Autohaus / Edmonton, AB
                            (tf) 1.800.661.9645 (l) 1.780.484.3000
                            (e) dnoble[at]nordenautohaus[.com]
                            Check out my blog: http://djnoble.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the input. So far I've had the entire front end of the car 3M'd, rockguarded the headlights and fogs "steel grey," got the windshield 3M'd, and tinted all the windows at Garage Works. Probably going to wait till after break in for the reflash/chip. Looking at gettin' the stubby antenna, clear front reflectors, and getting the black lower panels painted body colour.

What's the deal with the powertrain warranty? Anyway to hide any evidence of a chip?

Comment

Working...
                              X