My generator warning light came on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My generator warning light came on

So I started the car tonight, and usually the generator (the battery looking one) would go off after I start the car, but not this time.

So my worry is that, I need to drive up to Cochrane tomorrow morning, and if the lgiht is still on, is that bad? Like would I break down in the middle??

Re: My generator warning light came on

i wouldn't risk it, it may be that your alternator is pooped

Comment

damnnnn, cause tomorrow I need to see the first appearance crown at the cochrane court, too see if I can negociate my speeding tickett
      Last edited by 852VR6; 06-05-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

you can try, but it may brake down on u on the way there or back...just speaking from my experience

Comment

ahhh i see....thanks for the advice, I won't be risking it tomorrow my friend will be giving me a ride there.

How much are alternators anyways, I've never bought or replace one before and I assume parts source will have what I want??

Comment

about 400 i believe for an MkIv
            what do you drive?
            Last edited by longsock; 06-05-2009, 01:07 AM.

Comment

i noticed a bunch of used alternators on Tunedub's site

not sure on your car, but you can search here:
              http://www.tunedubautoparts.com/parts.php
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by MoreSpeed View Post
                about 400 i believe for an MkIv
                what do you drive?
                I drive a MK4 Jetta VR6 12V, are alternatoros different on different engines?

Comment

well....I know at least for the 2 slows and some of base line tdi's that they use 90amp alternators, my TDI which is a GL came with a 120amp alternator. If you don't have a stereo upgrade or don't plan on one, the 90amp should be fine.
                  2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                  Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

I tried starting my car just now, and magically it did start and the warning light went off! I even drove it around the block, and it still didnt come on.

But does that mean I shouldn't worry about it anymore?? Cause last night it was on solid

Comment

you can plug a multimeter to the alternator and make sure your charging at either 90 or 120amps
                      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

loose connection
                        you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

^^ could be. Have also seen heat related alternator issues when they are near death, where they don't act up until they are good and hot.
                          Stefan
                          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!

Comment

I know we just spoke on the phone about this but in case you needed to hear it again, or you forgot the steps I told you, here they are again;

When the light comes back on, leave the car on and at idle. Grab the multimeter and set it to the DC volts setting (20). Measure the battery voltage at the terminals. it should read 14.6v give or take .4v .
                              If it does read that voltage, then you have a break in one or both of the signal wires that are in the plastic connector at the back of the altenator.

If the voltage is less than 13.7v then the altenator is probably on its way out soon. Its just giving you a heads up with the light coming on and off.

Another probable cause could also be the serpentine belt slipping on the pulley. But you would hear that happening so I guess its safe to rule that symptom out of the equation. Let me know what the voltage you got when you get a chance to try it.

Later Mike...
                              TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
                              PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Working...
                              X