3rd gear issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3rd gear issues.

your going to waste your cash on a fluid change.

Comment

I wasn't going to do one though …

Music to permeate your soul …
      Jayson
      MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

The ongoing saga. So aside from the synchro George also mentioned he thinks it's probably the shift linkage. Anyone able to shed some more detailed info on this one?

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Originally posted by MusicalGenius View Post
          The ongoing saga. So aside from the synchro George also mentioned he thinks it's probably the shift linkage. Anyone able to shed some more detailed info on this one?
          Yeah. 6 speed swap.

edit wish I could help out, sounds like a lot of tranny issues.. hopefully it works out
          Last edited by onepointeightdub; 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM.
          drive green ||
          2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
          2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Buy a Crystal Ball.lol
            Take an oil sample and get it tested..
            Adjusting the shifter can be a real pain,but if it's only 3rd gear tranny has to come apart.

Comment

Well I went down a dropped off a co-worker to pick up his sons MKIII Jetta a few minutes ago and while there chatted with George about this. He told me that it wasn't the shift linkage, after going for a drive with me he was sure it's the synchro's. So that's cool and all, I asked about a repair job and he mentioned that it's be around $1,300, another viable option would be to look at a used tranny. That's again a fine idea the only issue is that I don't know what the tranny code is for a 12V VR6 from a MKIV Jetta.

Anyone able to once again shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Probably an 02J.. But this may help you out.

http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
                drive green ||

Comment

Well I went down a dropped off a co-worker to pick up his sons MKIII Jetta a few minutes ago and while there chatted with George about this. He told me that it wasn't the shift linkage, after going for a drive with me he was sure it's the synchro's. So that's cool and all, I asked about a repair job and he mentioned that it's be around $1,300, another viable option would be to look at a used tranny. That's again a fine idea the only issue is that I don't know what the tranny code is for a 12V VR6 from a MKIV Jetta.

Not too sure what tranny code is it for our cars, but back in January when my tranny got fried, George put in an Audi B5 A4 tranny in.

Comment

Oh really? How much did that run you, if I may ask? As well as what additional parts did you need?

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Oh really? How much did that run you, if I may ask? As well as what additional parts did you need?
                      Well the tranny itself was $1300 and George also recommended to change the clutch at the time and so I did. All that said and done including labour and yada yada was $2300. As for the additional part used, i'm not really sure. You would need to ask George about that.

Comment

I'd take the re-build option for 1300.00 that's more than fair.
                        But you should budget for at least 2G'S.

Comment

2g's is pretty good for a tranny job...

right now my pops s4 tranny exploded and we are closer to 4grand... no matter what we try
                          :P
                          Nick
                          1999.5 A4Q 1.8T
                          Mods: GIAC chip, 710N, Testpipe, K&N, A8 OE big brake upgrade, H-Sport F/R Sway Bars (FTW)
                          Maintenance: TB, WP, CV Joint, TRE, Wheel Bearing, Flex Pipe, Windshield, n75, G66, Valve Cover Gasket
                          Wishlist: RS4 Reps, AWE DTS and mounts

Comment

Originally posted by 852VR6 View Post
                            Well the tranny itself was $1300 and George also recommended to change the clutch at the time and so I did. All that said and done including labour and yada yada was $2300. As for the additional part used, i'm not really sure. You would need to ask George about that.

that's almost enough money to take basic mechanics class and graduate.. then you'd be able to do your own work! +/- cost of tools..
                            drive green ||

Comment

Originally posted by hopya View Post
                              that's almost enough money to take basic mechanics class and graduate.. then you'd be able to do your own work! +/- cost of tools..
                              That was 1/4 of what I paid for my car, which I did not want to spend. However, as a student, I live by myself therefore I only have one car and it was during the winter......

Comment

Jeez, hey Paul you mentioned earlier it's about $500 in parts and a weekend of labour right? Just how intensive would this one be, I'm fairly savvy I just need to have a baseline on where to start.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Working...
                                X