Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK4 GTI 1.8T Clutch?

my clutch is done...doh!

before getting it replaced, can anyone comment on a time frame a shop should be able to do it in? i've heard about 6 hours. any thoughts?

also, thinking about upgrading to something a little better than stock. any suggestions?

thanks!

Re: MK4 GTI 1.8T Clutch?

I just got mine replaced with Tunedub took a good day but then it wasn't a booked appointment. Also I got what George recommended which was Valeo clutch with flywheel. I think I would opt for something a lot stronger than that next time. Reason being is that i just don't feel comfortable with feel of the new clutch, but I guess time will really tell. I'm still in my break in period though and I already tried to launch the car once (oopsie) after that the clutch doesn't feel as hard. I am also chipped with Revo.
    drive green ||
    2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
    2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Is everyone still doing the VR6 clutches? How many km is on your car?
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Subbin for other responces. I am looking to do my clutch soon.
        Mike
        '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
        '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

ECS stage 1 clutch kit! Lightened flywheel, vr6 clutch!

Couldnt be happier!

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-.../Clutch/ES125/
          Originally posted by RedMile
          Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
          Originally posted by Smarty39
          haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

i do weekly orders with ecs but i recomend southbend or spec over the ecs usnits i have done
            sigpic

Comment

Get a DC clutch kit, they have been proven to hold more than SBC and Spec clutches. You can get them from this guy through the states, I don't know if they sell them locally or not though.

www.boraparts.com
              Last edited by dJ; 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM.
              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
              Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

got george to do vr6 clutch and lightened flywheel on my mk4 and it only took him an afternoon, and he was was less expensive than concept 1, it took a day or so to get used to the new clutch but it is way better than stock, way more holding power, i love it!
                sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                Past:
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                2004 .:R32 BMP
                2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Originally posted by hopya View Post
                  I just got mine replaced with Tunedub took a good day but then it wasn't a booked appointment. Also I got what George recommended which was Valeo clutch with flywheel. I think I would opt for something a lot stronger than that next time. Reason being is that i just don't feel comfortable with feel of the new clutch, but I guess time will really tell. I'm still in my break in period though and I already tried to launch the car once (oopsie) after that the clutch doesn't feel as hard. I am also chipped with Revo.
                  I also have the Valeo clutch with flywheel. It's an OK clutch. I would recommend the VR6 clutch, because I heard it's a bit more reliable. The Valeo clutch is a bit soft.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreSpeed View Post
                    I also have the Valeo clutch with flywheel. It's an OK clutch. I would recommend the VR6 clutch, because I heard it's a bit more reliable. The Valeo clutch is a bit soft.
                    I agree.. Well, lesson learned!
                    drive green ||

Comment

the Valeo clutch IS a "vr6" clutch paired with a "g60" single-mass flywheel. it's rumored that a Sachs branded disc and pressure plate are a little bit more aggressive / hold a little more power though.
                      for any stock turbo car, the single-mass flywheel / vr6 disc & pressure-plate combo should work just fine. i have seen an apr stage3 car with the above mentioned clutch set-up, and it was still holdin' on.

Comment

The VR6 clutch with a G60 single-mass flywheel is really really light. At least I thought it was really light. The pedal feels like it weighs nothing. At least, that's what it felt like for me when I installed one on my 99.5 Golf TDI. I had a lot more torque than a 1.8t would have so I assume I would get to really push the clutch to the limit.
                        Last edited by dJ; 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM.
                        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by eldo View Post
                          the Valeo clutch IS a "vr6" clutch paired with a "g60" single-mass flywheel. it's rumored that a Sachs branded disc and pressure plate are a little bit more aggressive / hold a little more power though.
                          for any stock turbo car, the single-mass flywheel / vr6 disc & pressure-plate combo should work just fine. i have seen an apr stage3 car with the above mentioned clutch set-up, and it was still holdin' on.
                          I didn't know that ..

wait so is it the stock oem clutch that goes in the VR6 or just an aftermarket clutch in general?
                          Last edited by onepointeightdub; 05-19-2009, 08:15 PM.
                          drive green ||

Comment

IMO 14lbs flywheel is not that light if you are going single-mass, and if you are sacrificing dual mass for a solid FW you are sacrificing drivability and noise/vibrations, not just noise from the clutch- you will transmit more vibration and stress to the rest of the car too increasing creaks, etc. Going to be harder to start on hills and inclines especially for non-experienced manual transmission drivers. Resale out the window. Why do that to a stock-turbo car? Why not just stick with your dual mass fw? Stick with bolt ons, unless you are going to really go crazy and get a stage 3/bt setup or built engine or whatever.

If I was going to do a more serious clutch for more power I would want something like this anyway:

http://fourseasontuning.com/?product=358
                            Last edited by Kor; 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Actually there is no difference in vibration.. The car drives like stock..

I also replaced my clutch because it went out. George recommended the single mass flywheel. He "wouldn't sell it if it wasn't better" was what he said. Im also guessing that George knows the ins and outs of our cars better.. As to why George didn't recommend the dual mass I guess it could either be business to make $ or hopefully because it IS better than stock. Or works better with the VR6 set up.
                              Last edited by onepointeightdub; 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM.
                              drive green ||

Comment

Working...
                              X