OEM HIDs cost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM HIDs cost.

Well finally I have a source for OEM hids that are off the 03&04 boras and gtis/golfs. They go for 1200US.
    They come with the plug n play adaptor, ballasts, bulbs,etc 4300K OEM bulbs. Shipping is from Montreal via shipper of your choice so it won't be that much and no duty payments. This is my xmas present to myself I think

Good price, got to love OEM!!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
      Good price, got to love OEM!!!
      It's yah and nah for me... I'm happy with my hid's... but yah... I kinda understand why OEM is best... lol

Comment

Re: OEM HIDs cost.

Originally posted by lsc2g
        Well finally I have a source for OEM hids that are off the 03&04 boras and gtis/golfs. They go for 1200US.
        They come with the plug n play adaptor, ballasts, bulbs,etc 4300K OEM bulbs. Shipping is from Montreal via shipper of your choice so it won't be that much and no duty payments. This is my xmas present to myself I think
        I believe you got your price quotation from a guy in Montreal (vwvortex username: TRBO-GTI). He's got the best price around. The last time he quoted me USD$1150 shipped for a set of Golf/GTI HID 03 edition. But that price was way back in April this year. Many guys bought from him and he's good and reliable source. :thumbsup:
        Herbert - 2002 Jetta OEM+ Galactic Blue 1.8T 5-speed Tiptronic
        R32 FIS Cluster|Bora HID|Audi A8L fogs|Aero-wipers|Bora Euro taillight|337 muffler w/Jetta MY02.5 tips|337 suspension|GLI front valance|VWR dogbone mount|MY03+ console w/R32 leather handbrake boot|Passat homelink+passenger visor

Latest pics
        My home page

Comment

And you will love your new headlights. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
          Herbert - 2002 Jetta OEM+ Galactic Blue 1.8T 5-speed Tiptronic
          R32 FIS Cluster|Bora HID|Audi A8L fogs|Aero-wipers|Bora Euro taillight|337 muffler w/Jetta MY02.5 tips|337 suspension|GLI front valance|VWR dogbone mount|MY03+ console w/R32 leather handbrake boot|Passat homelink+passenger visor

Latest pics
          My home page

Comment

I wonder if I could get those headlights made out of SOLID GOLD for $1200 US. They would not need to be functional.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Acumen is sellin a HID kit for 285 US and seems pretty good.... saw it on Vortex....
              Dale Willimus

Comment

HID kit is different from OEM hid's, am i rite am i rite
                Simon

Comment

I know there is a difference... there is also a difference between 1200 US and 285 US
                  Dale Willimus

Comment

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
                    It's yah and nah for me... I'm happy with my hid's... but yah... I kinda understand why OEM is best... lol
                    Can you expand on that Peter? What is the advantage of the OEM?
                    Neil
                    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

yea turbo-gti is the dude.. he's totally reliable.. here they come

Comment

Originally posted by 1.8Trip
                        Can you expand on that Peter? What is the advantage of the OEM?
                        I'm not Peter but I could answer your technical question. Euro specs H.I.D. has different beam pattern. For example the ECE (European Standard): Labeled E followed by a number. Note the much lower glare levels above cutoff and sharp horizontal cutoffs. Maximum allowed illumination is 38,000 candela.

What we use in NA is the DOT (US Standard): Note the increased illumination of overhead signs, which also results in higher glare levels for oncoming drivers. Maximum allowed illumination is 28,000 candela.

Now say if you retrofit the Xenon on the halogen headlight system then beam pattern will remain the same because of the same reflector inside the headlights. It really doesn’t matter is that an OEM Xenon or not. As long as you bought the car that comes with the DOT standard headlights then it will fit the criteria of the DOT(US standard) which should expect higher glare.

You are welcome to put expensive OEM Xenon on your car, but still not a perfect system that come off the shelf. What is a perfect “Real” OEM system? That contains a functional manual height adjustment switch, leveling motor and the electronics for automatic height adjustment.
                        “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

Yes I can install into my dash the switchy to make the headlight motors go up/down to adjust them for conditions although that seems like a lot of work to do

Comment

Installing the auto leveling system is a lot of work as you need to mount and wire the sensors in the back and front of the car. That would be the true correct system. You just have to remember that if you retro fit Xenons you are putting Xenon light into housings and reflectors that where not designed for it. Almost all Xenons work with projectors style lenses which neither Jetta, GTI ecode or NA spec have.
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

yea blair thats what I could never figure out about stupid acuras.. the TLs CLs and new TSX all have xenons for real but they don't use projectors.. kinda dumb.. then the old integras had projector headlights but were just halogens.. ??

Comment

Working...
                              X