Little Richard reviews the MKVI GTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Richard reviews the MKVI GTI

just a quick review but a nice read from the Hamster, with a quick (but inaccurate) golf timeline thrown in for good measure. Original article on the Mirror.co.uk

The Golf GTI lost its way a bit in the 1990s - as other carmakers trotted out hot hatches VW sat back and forgot what exciting small cars are meant to be like.
    So we told them and they listened, and made the last generation a real cracker. And it seems like the new one is going to follow its good example.
    It's based - of course - on the new MKVI Golf, which is itself based quite heavily on the MKV. Which is no bad thing.
    The engine is a new 2.0-litre turbo unit that's got 208bhp (11bhp more than the last GTI) and is cleaner and more economical and can now do 38mpg instead of 35.
    But I'm interested in how fast it goes. VW claims the top speed is 149mph, but I'm sure that with a tailwind it'd do 150mph. In theory of course.
    The new GTI does 0-62mph in 6.9sec and possibly better if you opt for the twin clutch DSG gearbox instead of the manual six-speed unit. So the new GTI will be quick.
    It also looks the part, and quite a bit different from the standard MKVI Golf.

The front has a sexy honeycomb grille with trademark red stripes in it (just like on the pioneering original 1970s GTI).
    The headlamps are more angular and there's a pair of vertically stacked foglamps and a body-coloured chin spoiler at the bottom of the front bumper. On the side of the car there are black sill extensions, at the back a roof spoiler and twin chrome exhaust tailpipes. It looks great.
    And just as good inside. The GTI has its own sports seats, instrument graphics and a new gearlever and aluminium pedal covers.
    The steering wheel is leather covered and looks so good that you might want to unbolt it from the car when you park it in case someone pinches it.
    The GTI comes standard on 17in alloys but there are optional 18in alloys if you want your car to look even more imposing.
    As usual, there are three and five door models. Of course, the last few Golf GTIs didn't have to deal with the Scirocco.
    Presumably VW is assuming that the Golf will be bought by people who need a car that's a bit more spacious and practical.
    Prices start at £21,689 for the three-door six-speed GTI rising to £23,579 for the five-door DSG model.
    Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Re: Little Richard reviews the MKVI GTI

kinda dissappointed it doesnt have more horsepower to be honest

Comment

Downtuned.

Get a chip that thing will go.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
        Downtuned.

Get a chip that thing will go.

Maybe so but 208hp in a 3200lb car is still way low for the segment. Should'nt have to mod your $35k hot hatch in order to make it reasonably quick.

That said I really like the mkVI and you can bet your ass I'll be taking one for a test drive.
        2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

the mk6 comes with some form of limited slip dosen't it? anyone know the details?

Comment

like the front.. I thought the MKV did 0 to 100 in 5.9 sec... and if the new GTI is 11HP more, how does that work when the MKV was 200HP >>>??????

Sounds like alot of BS to me...
            12 VW Golf
            09 BMW 135i
            07 MKV GTI
            03 Jetta GLI
            01 Jetta GLS
            90 Jetta GL

Comment

Originally posted by thumper View Post
              the mk6 comes with some form of limited slip dosen't it? anyone know the details?
              That would be nice but with 208hp not really necessary.
              2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Weight is up on the MKVI as well isn't it? If so that might be the 0-60 time difference …

Music to permeate your soul …
                Jayson
                MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

I believe these are correct, dates are european launch

1990 --- MKIII --- 132.29 bhp/ton --- 127bhp --- 960 kg

2001 --- MKIV --- 139.17 bhp/ton --- 178bhp --- 1279 kg

2004 --- MKV ---- 147.46 bhp/ton --- 197bhp --- 1336 kg

2009 --- MKVI --- 157.44 bhp/ton --- 207bhp --- 1318 kg

so were still on the rise bhp/ton wise but i agree still behind the running a little when you compare the price range with its competition for power
                  Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Hmm who knows then, could be some creative calculations.

Music to permeate your soul …
                    Jayson
                    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

Working...
                    X