TDI Engine Diagnostic Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI Engine Diagnostic Fun

So I have been having problems with a little bit of engine sputter under full load going up hills etc. The engine seems fine at idle and low speed but 3rd+ under load was a problem.
    First I figured it was the fuel filter, needed to replace the CAT filter anyways so I bought a new one and put it in; no change. Since I figured it was still a fueling issue and barring major engine internal problems should be easy to fix I looked at the injectors, thought it might be a partially plugged one. So I made up a nice little diesel purge container and ran a can through the engine; no change. I then looked at all the injectors more closely, noticed the #3 injector was covered in soot; BINGO! I happened to have some extra copper injector seals so I changed it out and took it for a spin; problem solved as far as I can tell from a quick spirited drive. My guess is when the engine was under full load the seal was leaking but while idling there was not enough cylinder pressure for me to notice the problem.
    So a lesson learned about diesel engines; Soot inside block good, Soot outside block bad.
    Next to fix the seals on my leaky oil cooler and then change the timing belt etc.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Re: TDI Engine Diagnostic Fun

Good catch...
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Spray WD-40 around the injectors see if they bubble... that's the easiest way for checking if they are leaking.
      2002 VW Golf GT TDI
      2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

dish soap and water,wd-40 is good for a vacumn test vs a pressure test.
        (but it will still work)but under vacumn x5

Comment

It is still making a sound that doesn't sound right, nothing terrible but just not right. Going to have to look into it some more but at least it is running well again.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I just had this problem! My #3 injector was making a loud ticking noise under load from the leak.
            Pat
            2000 S4 stg3
            2015 Honda Odyssey
            2017 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Originally posted by DieselBug View Post
              I just had this problem! My #3 injector was making a loud ticking noise under load from the leak.
              if it's a loud clicking noise thats a dirty pintle(needle and seat)
              and sometimes removing it and re-installing it cures the problem for awhile.
              That's the compression making its way up the injector needle because it's not seated correctly from generally internal failure.
              E.G
              wrong spray pattern
              carbon build up
              water
              to much diesel stabilizer(some people use gas as a stabilzer,it works in the rite quantity,if you add to much oh well)
              poor quality of diesel
              your injector lines pitting and the metal flakes jam in the injector.
              not enough sulpher content
              oops i put in gas i'll just burn it off

what your hearing is 25-27 to 1 compression going thru your injector
              and screwing up your system,especially TDI
              it's like getting a sledge hammer and whacking your fingers over and over.

Comment

Great info....thanks!
                Pat
                2000 S4 stg3
                2015 Honda Odyssey
                2017 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Working...
                X