Oil fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil fun.

So on Thursday I had my brakes done at Tunedub, and while chatting with Pam and George I got an Evo skid plate installed. Not because I couldn't but because it was convenient.

Skip forward to Friday evening. There is a brand new TD Canada Trust branch on 14th Avenue between First Street SE and Macleod Trail, the area between the two roads is riddled with potholes, and as I learned also a gigantic drop. Which is nearly imperceptible with snow on the road. So I dropped and thought the skid plate had done it's job.

Nope, I've got some bitchin' oil leak, coming from somewhere adjacent to the drivers side wheel. Until I can get the front tires up I won't know quite where it's leaking from. Either way f*ck, just plain f*ck.

Fun times to be had, so now I'm thinking of what it could be. Any ideas other than the oil pan?

Music to permeate your soul …
    Jayson
    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Re: Oil fun.

i hit my plate so hard it came up and cracked the pan. not really easy to see if its a fine crack unless you wipe the pan clean.

takes a hard hit to do that... good work

if it is by chance a crack, george should be able to repair it at less than the cost of a new pan. thats what i did the second time....
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

haha you guys and your skid plates
      2002 VW Golf GT TDI
      2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Fun times had by me. I'm currently examining the possibility of repairing my car and selling it while it's still worth a higher dollar. Then look at getting an A3 … It's been running rampant in my mind for the last while, I mean I keep putting so much in to maintain it and keep it running smoothly (mostly out of anal tendencies), and that money could easily be put towards a new vehicle instead.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

are anal tendencies cheaper on an audi?
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Hah hah, no but you wouldn't have starter, AC, brake, alignment issues that wouldn't be covered by a warranty.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

They say haha but without that plate, even better chance of oil pickup damage, pump damage, debris in bearings, or oilpan repair and smash dent out of skid plate. As for the rest, if you dont use a/c, seals dry up, brakes wear, hit pot holes alignment goes out, starters wear, but they can be rebuilt cheaper than buying a new one. Still all cheaper than new car, payments, full ins, takin a 20% hit off the lot, and voiding any warranty with mods.
              Back at 1518!!! Boo Ya!!!!!!

Comment

See the 20% what I was thinking of as well, there is a 2006 A3 down south from South Deerfoot Suzuki (of all places) for $24,888 …

Edit: Virtually identical to what I'd have spec'd out brand new (black on black 2.0 TFSI Premium with Bi-Xenon headlights), which runs $35,900.
                Last edited by MusicalGenius; 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Just checked her out on Suzuki's site - she looks sweet. And, I can only imagine, dirves pretty sweet too. 83xxx km tho, she's been around a bit...lol
                  Kerri
                  MK4 Jetta VR6

Comment

I assume you took that excuse for a road between the Sasso, Nuera Opus sites, cannot believe they can let that thing stay like that. Sorry on your luck, I always skip to 13th or 11th but did not know there was a bank there, must be very new!
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Spot on Blair, the new location opened up on Monday last week (March 9th) brand spankin' new. Hell some of the tellers know me by name already. Dropping the car off (again) tomorrow morning, I'll load her up with oil and drive her south. That sounded … almost sexual, hah.

And Kerri you can say that again, although mine right now is just shy of 200,000 KM's. I'm in a conundrum since I want to buy a place but there is also this facing me. If I sell my car and pay off the remaining amount in 12 months I'd resume the home search at that time. Or I can drive my Jetta for another couple years and get less back for her.

Basically transpose the money I'm saving into pay off a new car, or continue saving and buy a new car in a few years with something like a five year lease.

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Unless you can write off the lease, why? It's like long term rent without anything to show for it.
                        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Write off the lease eh, how on earth would you manage that?

True about the nothing to show for it, except for a newer vehicle. I'm thinking I will most likely end up not doing anything for at least six months. Just sock away money, see what happens. If I see a newer vehicle being a better route then so be it, if not then I'll more actively pursue housing. Either way though I doubt I'll slow down in thinking through different ideas and paths any time soon. (unless something juicy pops up)

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Use your car for business purposes. Ask an accountant. While it isn't entirely 100% written off it may take a good chunk out of your payments.
                            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

True enough, and I do use my vehicle to visit customers. I traditionally get about 1/3rd of my gas written off, so I don't write too much off and raise any flags. If I could write off some of the financing that might give me a better incentive. I mean it wouldn't be everything but some might assist. Thanks for the heads up!

Jayson

What's Next?

Comment

Working...
                              X