Autobody work questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobody work questions...

does anyone here know of a business that sells hood scoops or does pretty good autobody work?

I want to install a bigger intercooler above the engine and then have a hood scoop feeding amb. air into it.

wrx setup? thats pretty cool.. i dont' think i've ever seen that on a dub.. isn't it easier just to do a FMIC though?

on the shop I have no idea for really custom work like that. Peter probably knows a few.

Comment

front mounts suck in one way that they block the rad (higher engine temps are bad) and the piping required to run all the way to the front of the car and back to the intake manifold (on the Tranverse 1.8T) is just too damn long. I figure if I get a IC capable of about 700cfm i could actually get and INCREASE in pressure if I can find a short enough route to the intake. Could this be why Subaru and Mini have plopped them on top the engine with incredibly short charged air piping???

Comment

Sean, awesome. If you get this stuff in you gotta give me a call so I can see it.

FMIC would probably be easier and cheaper and more effective though.

Peter, Nick and (I think) Bill and I saw a golf/gti with what appeared to be a non-functional hood scoop at race city one night.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

cool sean.. yea I would love too see this done.. i'll try to dig up some info on vortex..

Comment

no idea whats under it or if its functional

Comment

thats exactly what I was envisioning... maybe a little high and swept back a tad but cool, someone has done this. I guess I'll just start phoning around.

www.bellintercoolers.com

they have wicked intercoolers there...

Comment

If I remember correctly. Those air scoop from Subie are separate piece from the hood. I think that is easier to access and cheaper than a custom made one.

I can see a problem of the wind noise and the water possibly wet the hot turbo when it rain. Make a shield to stop the water is possible I think.
                “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

noise may be an issue

ugh... i've been looking everywhere... as cool as it would be i don't think its going to happen. FMIC might be the way to go argh
                  Last edited by seanfournier; 09-22-2003, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hey Shawn, only met you once at my first meeting, wanna see your car though. So one company in town to check out might be Tech Works Eng. They did my custom exhaust, really good quality, used high grade stainless, everything was mandrel bent, welds were VERY clean, even put a custom 2.25" cat. That being said, I did have to return a few times for them to get it perfect (Corrado's run really hot and i managed to melt the packing in the resonator a couple times before they eliminated it altogether, also had some fitment issues). But they fixed it every time no problem.

Anyway, they do a lot of subie stuff (One of the Subies they did up runs autox all the time). I know they can do some custom stuff, they mounted a hood scoop and intake on a supercharged Miata for example (I saw it, looked amazing). I also know that they have Carbon Fiber Subaru hood scoops. So they might be able to do something for you.

So, before giving up, check them out.

Here is their website, you won't find it if you google search though:

www.techworkseng.com

403.288.8568 Talk to Keith.

You can say Jason Pringle sent you if you want.
                    Jay

Comment

Someone we saw at drags one night had a hood scoop on his golf. So it should be possible. But his was not functional
                      Nick
                      There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

i'll try it out... have my doubts though.

after doing some research on IC's i've learned that the ATP design for a FMIC is a bad design... the tubes should be short and simply have more of them... its possible that the ATP design could be robbing cars of power with it installed.

the intercooler size that is perfect for my car is 3" thick, about 16" side to side , 8" top to bottom, the charge air flow is top to bottom. I've gotta figure out the piping and then maybe i'll order it.

AFAIK, APR is the only company to have a properly engineered FMIC... I think its time to have a properly engineered TMIC!

Comment

The following is an email I recieved from bell intercoolers...

Hi Sean,
                          I strongly urge the use of verticle tubes where possible. Make the tube length the short dimension as that maximizes the internal flow area by inherently having a greater number of tubes. Clearly, that offers more internal flow area, lower velocity, hence less drag.

My favorite core is the 8 inch tube with thickness of 3.0 or 3.5.
                          Choose the B dimension to offer adequate flow.

Your power rating will rise a bit with the addition of the IC. Might
                          need to set your sights around 320/350 bhp. Look for a flow rating 475/525 cfm.

Regards,

Corky Bell

Comment

Isn't that the Maximum Boost guy?
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

yup, the one and only, Corky Bell.

Comment

Working...
                              X