Remote starter for TDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote starter for TDI

Can anyone recommend a remote starter for a 2001 Jetta TDI? After talking to some guys with big diesel trucks they say that Autostart is the one to get and to stay away from Viper and Kicker. Just looking for some suggestions.
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Re: Remote starter for TDI

apparently its one of the most expensive cars to get a remote starter for. i got a few prices a couple years ago, then decided against it. car doesnt warm up in the cold on its own anyways unless you get a high idle switch at the same time.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You got that right. An Autostart starter system from Visions starts at around $500-$600 installed for diesels.

It would probably be more cost effective to get a Zerostart inline coolant heater and a battery blanket.

Just thinking ahead for next year.
      2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

It is a bad idea.

It is really bad for the engine to idle cold.

Plus it won't get warm anyway.

Comment

Have also heard that this costs $600-$700

For diesel, you can actually get inline diesel fuel heaters/warmers that warm up the fuel and let you start the car down to -50C. Some of them use the coolant heat to keep the fuel warmer. Not sure if anyone has ever done it on a TDI though.

Probably a good idea to also run something like that with the aforementioned coolant or battery warmers.
          Last edited by Kor; 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Red90 View Post
            It is a bad idea.

It is really bad for the engine to idle cold.

Plus it won't get warm anyway.
            yes.. so you will remote start for like 5 mins, which wont be enough to do anything.
            If you did go the hig-idle switch route, I think it would work really well. Its what we do with our work trucks. But now your talking realy big money.
            Stefan
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

High idle helps, but it is still bad for the engine.

The best solution is Webasto or Espar. I have one on the "Red90" and it is the greatest thing I have ever bought. $700 on eBay plus $25 for a remote starter to turn it on. It has a very similar engine to the VWs. As a bonus, it sounds like you have a jet engine under the hood.

You can put them on a VW TDI as well, there are writeups around.

edit here: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/130...supplement.pdf for the factory install....
              Last edited by Red90; 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Inline heater for TDIs: http://www.frostheater.com/

Also Gregg Distributors in Calgary sells heating pads for oilpan, fuel filter and batteries under the Temro, Access Alaska and Wolverine brands. Look on page Q14 in their online catalogue.

If I use a timer I think I should be bullet proof next winter.
                2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Also Gregg Distributors in Calgary sells heating pads for oilpan, fuel filter and batteries under the Temro, Access Alaska and Wolverine brands. Look on page Q14 in their online catalogue.
                  2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
                    You can get the same heater at Gregg's as well, or Crappy tire or most auto parts stores. Around $50.

Comment

Don't buy the stick on pads for the oil pan especially with a plastic skid plate. Why you don't want to hear about how many have fallen off and your car is toast. In terms of a remote car starter would not recommend it, the only thing that will get hot is the heated seat with the car starter.

Ben
                      Ben
                      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                      Her's
                      2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Good call Benjamin. I do have a EVO aluminum skidplate though. When I bought the car it had a plug to some kind of heating element??? Don't know if it is a pan heater or inline heater or block heater. Looking through my Bentley manual tonight there does not seem to be any frost plugs in the 1.9L ALH TDI engine. So it couldn't be a traditional block heater. Can someone verify this?

On really cold days when I plug it in the car does start easier. However it is not hot enough to heat up the coolant to blow hot air. So the logical choice would be a Frostheater.
                        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

It is probably a stick on pan heater. Most dealers around here put them on. There is nothing wrong with them. They should not fall off unless you are incompetent in putting one on...

Comment

although not a bad idea to take a peek at it once in a while. especially if you smoke something on the road

i have one. Works well.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

the frostheater set up is your best bet!!!!!!
                              Back at 1518!!! Boo Ya!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X